Catalytic transformations of 1-furyl-2-oxa-4-butanol
- 14 Downloads
The hydrogenation of 1-furyl-2-oxa-4-butanol in a flow system at normal pressure on a Pd-C-catalyst at 180° and 280°, and also on Raney Cu-Al- and Ni-Al-catalysts at 240° were studied.
At 180° on a Pd-C-catalyst, 1-furyl-2-oxa-4-butanol smoothly hydrogenates to 1-tetrahydrofuryl-2-oxa-4-butanol. Raising the temperature to 280° makes possible the hydrogenolysis of the ether bond in the side chain.
The Cu-Al-catalyst possesses the property of most effectively causing hydrogenolysis of the side ether bond (50%), whereas hydrogenolysis of the furan ring with subsequent cyclodehydration leading to propyldioxane is observed to a lesser degree (20%).
“Conjugated” hydrogenolysis of the furan ring occurs on the Raney Ni-Al-catalyst leading to the formation of methyl-, ethyl-, and propyldioxanes from 1-furyl-2-oxa-4-butanol in yields of 18, 10, and 14%, respectively.
KeywordsHydrogenation Methyl Ether Ethyl Furan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. I. Shuikin, I. F. Bel'skii, and Kh. M. Minachaev, Zh. obshch, khimii,29, 2969 (1959).Google Scholar
- 2.N. I. Shuikin, V. I. Nikiforov, and P. A. Stolyarova, Zh. obshch. khimii,7, 1501 (1937).Google Scholar
- 3.N. I. Shuikin and I. F. Bel'skii, Dokl. AN SSSR,115, 330 (1957).Google Scholar
- 4.N. I. Shuikin and I. F. Bel'skii, Dokl. AN SSSR,125, 345 (1959).Google Scholar
- 5.N. I. Shuikin and I. F. Bel'skii, Izv. AN SSSR, Otd. khim. n.,1958, 309.Google Scholar
- 6.N. I. Shuikin and I. F. Bel'skii, Zh. obshch. khim.,29, 3627 (1959).Google Scholar
- 7.I. F. Bel'skii, Izv. AN SSSR, Otd. khim. n.,1962, 142.Google Scholar
- 8.I. F. Bel'skii, N. I. Shuikin, and G. E. Skobtsova, Izv. AN SSSR, Otd. khim. n.,1963, 9.Google Scholar
- 9.I. F. Bel'skii, N. I. Shuikin, and V. M. Shostakovskii, Dokl. AN SSSR,152, 862 (1963).Google Scholar
- 10.I. F. Bel'skii, S. N. Khar'kov, and N. I. Shuikin, Dokl. AN SSSR,165, 821 (1965).Google Scholar