Mechanism of the ion-exchange separation of mixtures of rare earth elements during elution with solutions of nitrilotriacetic acid
- 34 Downloads
The composition of complex compounds of the REE, formed during their elution from an ion-exchange resin by solutions of salts of nitrilotriacetic acid, was studied.
The separation of mixtures of REE is accomplished on account of mono- and dinitrilotriacetates. In the adsorption zone, mononitrilotriacetates LnX predominate, while in the zone of separation, saturated with NH 4 + ions or “retaining ions” (Cu2+), the mononitrilotriacetates are converted to dinitrilotriacetates [LnX2]3−.
When the resin of the zone of separation is saturated with Cu2+ ions, there is practically no contact between the REE nitrilotriacetates and the resin in the Cu2+-form. The retaining action of Cu2+ is associated with the formation of a layer of resin with an increased content of hydrogen ions between the zone of CuR2 and the zone of LnR3.
KeywordsHydrogen Rare Earth Earth Element Complex Compound Nitrilotriacetic Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. T. Fitch and D. G. Russel, Canad. J. Chem.,29, 363 (1951).Google Scholar
- 2.N. D. Mitrofanova, Dissertation [in Russian], Moscow (1966).Google Scholar
- 3.L. Holleck and L. Hartinger, Angew. Chemie,68, 411 (1956).Google Scholar
- 4.W. Noddack and G. Oertel, Elektrochemie,61, 1216 (1957).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Massone, Chem. Technik,10, 591 (1958).Google Scholar
- 6.L. Wolf and J. Massone, Chem. Technik,10, 290 (1952).Google Scholar
- 7.L. I. Martynenko, Nauchnye Doklady Vysshei Shkoly. Khimiya i Khimicheskaya Teknologiya, No. 4, 718 (1958).Google Scholar
- 8.R. Pribil, Complexones in Chemical Analysis [Russian translation], IL (1960).Google Scholar
- 9.N. D. Mitrofanova and L. I. Martynenko, Zh. Neorgan. Khimii,7, 1049 (1962).Google Scholar
- 10.N. D. Mitrofanova, L. I. Martynenko, and A. I. Grigor'ev, Zh. Neorgan. Khimii,10, 1409 (1965).Google Scholar
- 11.L. I. Martynenko, Collection: Rare Earth Elements [in Russian], Izd-vo AN SSSR (1958), p. 112.Google Scholar
- 12.F. H. Spedding, J. E. Powell, and J. H. Whellwright, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.,46, 612 (1954).Google Scholar
- 13.L. I. Martynenko, Dissertation [in Russian], Moscow (1959).Google Scholar
- 14.L. Wolf and J. Massone, J. Prakt. Chem.,5, 21 (1957).Google Scholar