Millimeter-wave mode conversions at dielectric waveguide steps
- 39 Downloads
The conversion of guided modes (TE0 and TE1) at a rectangular step on a dielectric slab waveguide is investigated with mm microwaves. The power of the modes is measured from their interference patterns in the evanescent field outside the waveguide slab. The relative power of two modes changes periodically when the length of the step is varied. In the experiments a change of up to three orders of magnitude was measured. The step is considered as a sequence of three waveguide sections of different thickness. At the discontinuities the modal fields are assumed to illuminate the next section. The calculation based on this model agrees with the experimental results.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Gloge: Bell Syst. Techn. J.51, 1767 (1972)Google Scholar
- 2.N. S. Kapany, J. J. Burke, T. Sawatari: J. Opt. Soc. Am.60, 1350 (1970)Google Scholar
- 5.N. S. Kapany, J. J. Burke:Optical Waveguides (Academic Press, New York, London 1972) p. 18Google Scholar
- 8.H. Rudolph: Thesis, TU Berlin D 83 (1979)Google Scholar
- 9.A. W. Snyder: J. Opt. Soc. Am.56, 601 (1966)Google Scholar
- 10.N. S. Kapany, J. J. Burke, T. Sawatari: J. Opt. Soc. Am.60, 1178 (1970)Google Scholar