An integrated optical TE-TM mode splitter
- 101 Downloads
A hybrid technology developed for the deposition in planar waveguides of a multilayer which controls the guided optical power by interference has been tested using a TE-TM mode splitter as an example. The preparation of waveguides which exhibit good edge properties, the deposition of the multilayer and the mutual alignment of the waveguides by better than λ/5 are described. The ratio of the transmitted TE power to the reflected TM power has been measured to be 0.9±0.1, which agrees well with the 1.0 yielded by theory. Distortion due to mode conversion, TE reflectance and TM transmittance is of the order of 1%.
Index HeadingsIntegrated optics Multilayer Mode splitter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H.A.Macleod:Thin Film Optical Filters (Adam Hilger Ltd., London, 1969)Google Scholar
- 4.H.F.Mahlein: Optica Acta20, 687 (1973)Google Scholar
- 5.H.F.Mahlein, W.Rauscher: Optik38, 187 (1973)Google Scholar
- 6.R.Kersten, W.Rauscher: Siemens Forsch.- u. Entw.-Ber.2, 39 (1973)Google Scholar
- 7.Jenaer Glaswerk Schott & Gen., Mainz, Katalog Optisches GlasGoogle Scholar
- 10.R.Kersten: Research Laboratories of Siemens AG, Munich, private communicationGoogle Scholar