Propagation of optical pulses at an absorption line in the presence of a weak nonlinearity
- 14 Downloads
We examine the propagation of short pulses of light in a resonantly absorbing, weakly nonlinear medium within the limits of a model described by the nonlinear Schrödinger equation. The possibility of transforming pulses of various forms into a soliton signal due to the effects of self-interaction is studied. On the basis of the study of spectra for the associated linear problem, we investigate the break-up of an initial pulse into solitons. We have obtained solutions for two particular cases of the initial pulse.
KeywordsSoliton Absorption Line Short Pulse Linear Problem Optical Pulse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. E. Zakharov and A. B. Shabat, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz.,61, No. 1 (7), 118 (1971).Google Scholar
- 2.N. G. Basov and A. M. Prokhorov, Usp. Fiz. Nauk,57, 485 (1955).Google Scholar
- 3.V. E. Zuev and M. V. Kabanov, Transmission of Optical Signals in the Earth's Atmosphere (in the Presence of Obstacles) [in Russian], Moscow, Sov. Radio (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Electrodynamics of Continuous Materials [in Russian], Moscow, Nauka (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.V. I. Karpman and E. M. Maslov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz.,73, No. 2 (8), 537 (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. A. Berezin and V. I. Karpman, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz.,51, No. 5 (11), 1557 (1966).Google Scholar
- 7.V. I. Karpman and V. P. Sokolov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz.,54, No. 5, 1568 (1968).Google Scholar
- 8.V. G. Makhan'kov, O. K. Pashaev, and Kh. T. Kholmurodov, Preprint OIYaI R5-85-561, Dubna (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.V. G. Makhan'kov, O. K. Pashaev, and Kh. T. Kholmurodov, Preprint OIYaI R5-85-562, Dubna (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.V. E. Zakharov, S. V. Manakov, S. P. Novikov, and L. P. Pitaevskii, Theory of Solitons: The Inverse Problem Method [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1980), p. 90.Google Scholar
- 11.E. Janke, F. Emde, and F. Losche, Special Functions [Russian translation], Nauka, Moscow (1977), p. 194.Google Scholar