Evaluation of the detection limit in electron-recording Mössbauer spectroscopy
- 25 Downloads
A semiempirical formula is derived for evaluating the lowest concentration of Mössbauer atoms whose signal can be reliably recorded by electron Mössbauer spectroscopy. The concentration is calculated from the resonance effect magnitude ɛ in a sample of known chemical composition, on the basis of the cross sections of photoelectric absorption of source gamma photons by the sample atoms, the energy and probability of production of photoelectrons and their associated Auger electrons, and the probability of recoilless gamma-photon absorption in the sample. Experimental testing showed that the calculated and measured values of ɛ differ by not more than 20%.
KeywordsSpectroscopy Detection Limit Auger Experimental Testing Auger Electron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Dantser, É. Tan, and D. Mol'kh, Analytics: Systematic Survey [in Russian], Khimiya, Moscow (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.G. A. Korn and T. M. Korn, Handbook of Mathematics, McGraw, New York (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.A. B. Bateev, O. M. Vakar, P. L. Gruzin, et al., Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Fiz.,10, No. 7 (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.Yu. F. Babikova, O. M. Vakar, P. L. Gruzin, et al., Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Fiz.,10, No. 7 (1983).Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. Babikova, V. A. Bychkov, O. M. Vakar, et al., in: Nuclear Radiation in Science and Technology [in Russian], Énergoatomizdat, Moscow (1984), pp. 3–18.Google Scholar
- 6.G. K. Wertheim, Mössbauer Effect [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1966).Google Scholar
- 7.U. Gonser, ed., Mössbauer Spectroscopy [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1983).Google Scholar
- 8.M. A. Kumakhov et al., Dept. at VINITI (All-Union Institute of Scientific and Technical Information), reg. No. 700-75.Google Scholar
- 9.Yu. Petrikin, V. N. Alekseev, V. A. Bychkov, et al., Zavod. Lab.,46, No. 11 (1983).Google Scholar