Effect of deep dislocation levels in silicon on the properties of p-n junctions
- 21 Downloads
We present the results of studies on the influence of deep levels, due to dislocations in electronic-grade silicon, on the lifetime of minority carriers and on the current-voltage and capacitance-voltage characteristics of p-n junctions. The parameters of the deep levels were determined by means of dynamic spectroscopy. The carrier lifetime in the high-resistance region of the p-n junction correlates well with the dislocation density and varies from 10−7 sec to 3 · 10−8 sec when the dislocation density Nd varies from 107 cm−2 to 5 · 103 cm−2. The voltage across the p-n junction at a high level of injection varies 1.6 to 6.2 v as a function of Nd. The ionization energy of deep levels associated with dislocation in silicon is 0.44 and 0.57 eV, measured from the bottom of the conduction band.
KeywordsSpectroscopy Silicon Conduction Band Dislocation Density Ionization Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. G. Howes and P. S. Dobson, Phys. Status Solidi (a),6, 2, 611 (1971).Google Scholar
- 2.D. A. Sechenov, A. G. Zakharov, and V. V. Bespyatov, Élektron. Obrab. Mater., No. 2, 14 (1975).Google Scholar
- 3.B. A. Sakharov (ed.), Metallurgy and Tekhnology of Semiconductor Materials [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1972).Google Scholar
- 4.N. F. Kovtonyuk and Yu. A. Kontsevoi, Measurement of the Parameters of Semiconducting Materials [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1970).Google Scholar
- 5.A. G. Zakharov, D. A. Sechenov, Yu. I. Molchanov, and G. M. Nabokov, Capacitance Methods of Monitoring the Electrophysical Properties of Semiconductor Structures [in Russian], TRTI (V. D. Kalmykov Radio Engineering Institute), Taganrog (1983).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Zie, Physics of Semiconductor Devices. Book 1 [Russian translation], 2nd ed., Mir, Moscow (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.V. A. Grazhulis, V. V. Kveder, et al., Fiz. Tverd. Tela (Leningrad),22, No. 2, 512 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.V. G. Eremenko, V. I. Nikitenko, and E. B. Yakimov, Zh. Éksp. Tekh. Fiz.,73, No. 9(3), 1129 (1977).Google Scholar
- 9.I. E. Bondarenko, V. G. Eremenko, V. I. Nikitenko, and E. B. Yakimov, Phys. Status Solidi (a),60, 341 (1980).Google Scholar