Distortion of the space-time characteristics of short optical pulses due to refraction in atmospheric absorption lines
- 15 Downloads
Numerical methods were used to study distortion of the space-time characteristics of an optical pulse due to refraction over inclined paths in atmospheric absorption lines in the case where the width of the pulse spectrum is comparable to the width of the absorption line. The calculations involved use of a model of the winter and summer atmosphere in the middle latitudes and the absorption lines of water vapor in the visible and near infrared regions. Here, allowance was made for laws governing the change in the width, central frequency, and form of the contour of the absorption line with altitude. Estimates were made of the radical expansion of the beam of radiation and the change in the direction and time of propagation for a short optical pulse caused by refraction in atmospheric absorption line.
KeywordsRadiation Atmosphere Water Vapor Refraction Central Frequency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. V. Alekseev, M. V. Kabanov, I. F. Kushtin, and N. F. Nelyubin, Optical Refraction in the Earth's Atmosphere (inclined channels) [in Russian], Novosibirsk, Nauka (1983).Google Scholar
- 2.S. A. Chevakin and A. P. Naumov, Radio Phys. Electron.,12, No. 6, 955 (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.L. A. Vainshtein, Usp. Fiz. Nauk,118, No. 2, 339 (1976).Google Scholar
- 4.C. Garret and D. E. McCumber, Phys. Rev. A,1, No. 2, 305 (1970).Google Scholar
- 5.M. D. Crisp, Phys. Rev. A,1, No. 6, 1604–1611 (1970),4, No. 5, 2104–2108 (1971).Google Scholar
- 6.D. Stroben (ed.), Propagation of Laser Radiation in the Atmosphere [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1981).Google Scholar
- 7.V. V. Zuev, Yu. N. Ponomarev, et al., Opt. Lett.,10, No. 7, 318 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.V. E. Zuev and M. V. Kavanov, Transmission of Optical Signals in Earth's Atmosphere (under interference conditions) [in Russian], Sov. Radio, Moscow (1977).Google Scholar
- 9.F. X. Kneizys, F. P. Shettle, et al., “Atmospheric transmittance radiance: Computer code Lowtran 5,” in: Environment. Res. Paper, AFCRL-TR-80-0067, No. 697 (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.A. I. Plis and N. A. Slivina, Laboratory in Higher Mathematics [in Russian], Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow (1983).Google Scholar
- 11.A. L. Buck, Appl. Opt.,6, No. 4, 706 (1967).Google Scholar