Electeostatic equilibrium of a modulated electron beam in a magnetoactive plasma
- 12 Downloads
The two-dimensional (axisymmetric) equilibrium of a modulated electron beam (sequence of bunches) in a magnetoactive plasma under resonance conditions, when the frequency of modulation of the beamθM is close to (less than) the plasma frequencyωp, is studied. The field of the collective electrostatic wave, focusing the bunches, is compensated by the thermal repulsion of the beam electrons. Based on the solutions obtained, it is established that the external magnetic field has a twofold effect on the equilibrium beam: first, to a weakening of the radial component of the focusing field because of the appearance of anisotropy in the dielectric permittivity tensor of the plasma and, second, an additional radial focusing of the bunches when they are rotated by the Lorentz force. The regions of the beam and plasma parameters in which one or another of the indicated effects predominates are determined and the conditions for the predominance of magnetic over electrostatic focusing are found.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Anisotropy Electron Beam External Magnetic Field Dielectric Permittivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. B. Krasovitskii, Pis'ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz.,9, No. 12, 679 (1969).Google Scholar
- 2.F. Winterberg, “Electrostatic self-focusing of intense relativistic electron beams in dense plasma,” Atomkernenergie,22, No. 2, 142 (1973).Google Scholar
- 3.V. P. Kovalenko and P. N. Yushmanov, Fiz. Plazmy,3, No. 6, 1284 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.V. G. Dorofeenko and V. B. Krasovitskii, Ukr. Fiz. Zh., in press.Google Scholar
- 5.A. M. Gladkii, V. P. Kovalenko, and P. N. Yushmanov, Pis'ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz.,24, No. 10, 533 (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.A. P. Prudnikov, Yu. A. Brychkov, and O. I. Marichev, Integrals and Series. Elementary Functions [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1981), p. 727.Google Scholar
- 7.R. C. Davidson and B. H. Hui, Ann. Phys.,94, 209 (1975).Google Scholar
- 8.D. Bohm and E. P. Gross, Phys. Rev.,75, No. 12, 1851 (1949).Google Scholar
- 9.Z. K. Yankauskas, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz.,9, No. 2, 412 (1966).Google Scholar