A note on scalar Hertz potentials for gyrotropic media
- 69 Downloads
The scalar Hertz potentials are generalized to the case of electromagnetic fields in gyrotropic media. Expressions for electromagnetic fields in terms of two potentials are presented and the system of differential equations for the potentials is derived. The result are summarized in the form of a theorem. The case of a stratified gyrotropic medium with parameters varying along the distinguished axis has been considered also. Scalar “superpotentials” satisfying a fourth-order partial differential equation are introduced. They allow expressions for electromagnetic fields to be found in terms of one scalar superpotential only. Basic results on scalar Hertz potentials in isotropic media are recalled.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.H.Hönl, A.W.Maue, K.Westpfahl: Theorie der Beugung, inEncyclopedia of Physics, Vol. 25/1 (Springer, Berlin, Göttingen, Heidelberg 1961)Google Scholar
- 4.S.Preździecki, R.A.Hurd.: Diffraction by a half-plane perpendicular to the distinguished axis of a gyrotropic medium (oblique incidence) (a paper in preparation)Google Scholar
- 5.K.Bochenek:Methods of analysis of electromagnetic fields (PWN, Warszawa 1961) (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 6.S.Przeździecki, W.Laprus: “Representation of electromagnetic fields in gyrotropic media in terms of scalar Hertz potentials,” Inst. Fund. Techn. Research Polish Acad. Sci. Report 17/1978 (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 7.P.C.Clemmow: Proc. IEE (London)110, 101–106 (1963)Google Scholar
- 9.A.Kujawski, S.Przeździecki: Bull. Acad. Pol. Sci. Ser. sci. math. astr. phys.21, 955–962 (1973)Google Scholar