Positron annihilation in radiation capture centers in quartz and quartz glasses
This study presents the results of a theoretical and experimental investigation of the process of positron annihilation in radiation capture centers (RCC) of quartz and quartz glasses irradiated byγ-rays. The value of the effective electron mass in the oxygen bridge atom vacancy (E′ center) is determined. This value proves to be larger than in the case of a quartz monocrystal and close to the value calculated from the optical absorption band of quartz glass (μ ∼ 5.0 me). It is shown that positron annihilation in [A1] centers is characterized by a greater half-width in the annihilation radiation angular correlation curve than in H-centers. The dependence of radiation capture center concentration on radiation dosage is obtained.
KeywordsQuartz Absorption Band Radiation Dosage Experimental Investigation Optical Absorption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Coussot, Phys. Lett.,30A, 138 (1969).Google Scholar
- 2.W. Brandt, G. Coussot, and R. Paulin, Phys. Rev.,23, 522 (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.T. L. Williams and H. J. Ache, J. Chem. Phys.,51, 3536 (1969).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Bisi, G. Gombarinia, and G. Zappa, Phys. Rev. Lett.,A35, 193 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.G. M. Bartenev, A. D. Tsyganov, A. Z. Varisov, and E. P. Prokop'ev, Zh. Éksp. i Tekh. Fiz.,53, 1904 (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.V. I. Gol'danskii and E. P. Prokop'ev, Fiz. Tverd. Tela,6, 3301 (1964).Google Scholar
- 7.A. D. Tsyganov, A. Z. Varisov, A. D. Mokrushin, and E. P. Prokop'ev, Fiz. Tverd. Tela,11, 2079 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.A. A. Amosov, Candidate's Dissertation [in Russian], Moscow (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.S. I. Pekar, Studies in the Electron Theory of Ionic Crystals [Russian translation], GITTL, Moscow-Leningrad (1951).Google Scholar
- 10.G. M. Bartenev, A. D. Tsyganov, E. P. Prokop'ev, and A. Z. Varisov, Usp. Fiz. Nauk,103, 62, 339 (1971).Google Scholar
- 11.B. S. Gonrary and F. J. Adrian, Solid State Phys.,10, 128 (1960).Google Scholar