Reflection of narrow light beams by a dissipating medium
- 10 Downloads
The brightness distribution of multiple back-scattering of radiation is investigated in a plane perpendicular to the beam axis as a function of the density of the artificial mists and smokes. The range of the distances from the beam axis (base) investigated was 0.02–1 m or 10−4−1.8 in optical quantities. The investigations were accompanied by parallel measurements of the scattering index by using a turbidimeter, which permitted making quantitative estimates of the influence of the form of the index on the magnitude of the intensity of the multiply-scattered radiation for diverse values of the optical base. It is shown that the brightness distribution of the multiply scattered radiation takes on a smoother shape as the elongation of the index increases.
KeywordsRadiation Reflection Smoke Light Beam Quantitative Estimate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. A. Gershun, Selected Works on Photometry and Light Engineering [in Russian], Fizmatgiz (1958).Google Scholar
- 2.A. P. Ivanov, Optics of Dissipating Media [in Russian], Nauka i Tekhnika, Minsk (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.V. P. Kozlov and E. O. Fedorova, Opt.-Mekh. Prom., No. 1 (1967).Google Scholar
- 4.V. A. Donchenko, M. V. Kabanov, B. A. Savel'ev, and I. V. Samokhvalov, Izv. VUZ, Fiz., No. 1, 158 (1968).Google Scholar
- 5.V. A. Donchenko, I. V. Samokhvalov, and G. G. Matvienko, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Fiz. Atmos. i Okeana,7, No. 11 (1971).Google Scholar
- 6.V. E, Zuev, M. V. Kabanov, and B. A. Savel'ev, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Fiz. Atmos. i Okeana,3, No. 7 (1967).Google Scholar
- 7.W. W. Foster, British J. Appl. Phys.,B10, No. 9, 416 (1959).Google Scholar
- 8.V. E. Zuev, B. A. Savel'ev, O. A. Volkovitskii, V. Ya. Fadeev, V. A. Kozlov, and G. I. Shcheglov, Transactions of the 10th All-Union Conference on Radiowave Propagation [in Russian], Irkutsk (1972).Google Scholar
- 9.I. F. Elistratov, I. M. Levin, and T. N. Lomonosova, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Fiz. Atmos. i Okeana,6, No. 7 (1970).Google Scholar
- 10.Yu. S. Georgievskii et al., Projector Ray in the Atmosphere [in Russian], G. V. Rozenberg (editor), Izd. AN SSSR (1960).Google Scholar