Preparation and optical properties of single crystal thin films of bismuth substituted iron garnets for magneto-optic applications
- 245 Downloads
Single crystal thin films of Bi substituted iron garnets have been grown by the liquid phase epitaxy technique. The growth conditions and compositions are presented together with the segregation coefficients of Bi and Pb as a function of growth temperature. The Faraday rotation and optical absorption have been measured for wavelengths between 0.7 and 0.46 μm. The superior magneto-optic properties (Faraday rotations of up to ten times larger than that observed for Y3Fe5O12) make these epitaxial layers attractive for magneto-optic devices. The influence of Pb incorporation on the optical properties of the films is discussed. Compositions of Bi and Ga(Al) substituted Gd3Fe5O12, which exhibit a magnetic compensation temperature near room temperature and high Faraday rotation, have also been prepared. The magnetic switching behaviour as a function of temperature has been determined. It shows that these films are especially suited for thermomagnetic recording using an argon ion laser at a wavelength of 5145 Å.
Index HeadingsMagneto-optics Bi garnets Liquid phase epitaxy Crystal growth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.S.Wittekoek, Th.J.A.Popma, J.M.Robertson, P.F.Bongers: Conf. on Magnetism and Magn. Materials, Denver (1972); A.I.P. Conf. Proc. no. 10, 1418 (1973)Google Scholar
- 6.S.Ito, I.Mikami, Y.Sugita, S.Taniguchi: J. Phys. Soc. Japan34, 1101 (1973)Google Scholar
- 8.E.A.Giess, B.E.Argyle, D.C.Cronemeyer, E.Klokholm, T.R. McGuire, D.F.O'Kane, T.J. Plaskett, V.Sadagopan: Conf. on Magnetism and Magn. Materials, Chicago (1971); A.I.P. Conf. Proc. no. 5, 110 (1972)Google Scholar
- 9.S.L. Blank, J.Nielsen: Conf. on Magnetism and Magn. Materials, Denver (1972); A.I.P. Conf. Proc., no. 10,256 (1973)Google Scholar
- 10.R. Hiskes, R.A. Burmeister: Conf. on Magnetism and Magn. Materials, Denver (1972); A.I.P. Conf. Proc., no. 10, 304 (1973)Google Scholar
- 12.Incorporation of lead in films is the subject of a future publicationGoogle Scholar
- 14.D.E.Lacklison, G.B.Scott, H.I.Ralph, J.L.Page: Intermag (1973)Google Scholar
- 16.To avoid attack on the platinum by the bismuth containing melts slow premelting is necessary. This is described in detail in Robertsonet al. to be published in Platinum Metals ReviewGoogle Scholar
- 17.S. Taniguchi, K. Shinagawa, H. Takeuchi: I.T.T.T. Mag. to be published (Intermag 1973 Washington).Google Scholar
- 18.See, for example, S.Geller: Z. f. Krist.25, 1 (1967)Google Scholar
- 20.Th.J.A. Popma: unpublished resultsGoogle Scholar