Evidence for transform faulting in the Ionian sea: The Cephalonia island earthquake sequence of 1983
- 137 Downloads
Accurate locations of aftershocks of the January 17, 1983 (Ms=7.0) main shock in the Ionian islands have been determined, as well as fault plane solutions for this main shock and its largest aftershock, which are interpreted as a right-lateral, strike-slip motion with a thrust component, on a fault striking in about a NE-SW direction.
This is considered as a transform fault in the northwesternmost part of the Hellenic arc.
Key wordsFault-plane solution Ionian sea Transform faulting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Comninakis, P. E. andPapazachos, B. C. (1982),A catalogue of earthquakes in Greece and surrounding area for the period 1901–1980. Publication of the Geophysical Laboratory, University of Thesaloniki5, 1–146.Google Scholar
- Dewey, J. F. andSengor, A. M. C. (1979),Aegean and surrounding regions: Complex multiplate and continuum tectonics in a convergent zone. Bull. Geol. Soc. Am.90, 84–92.Google Scholar
- Finnetti, I. (1976),Mediterranean ridge: a young submerged chain associated with the Hellenic arc. Boll. Geof. Teor. Appl. XIX,69, 31–65.Google Scholar
- Karakaisis, G. F. (1984),Contribution to the study of the seismic sequences in the Aegean and surrounding area. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Thessaloniki pp. 1–192 (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Lee, W. H. K. andLahr, J. C. (1975),HYPO 71 (revised): a computer program for determining hypocenter, magnitude and first motion pattern of local earthquakes. U.S.G.S. Open File Rep. 75-311.Google Scholar
- Le Pichon, X. andAngelier, J. The Hellenic arc and trench system: a key to the neotectonic evolution of the eastern Mediterranean area. Tectonophysics60, 1–42.Google Scholar
- McKenzie, D. P. (1972),Active tectonics in the mediterranean region. Geophys. J.R. Astr. Soc.30, 109–185.Google Scholar
- McKenzie, D. P. (1978),Active tectonics of the Alpine-Himalayan belt: the Aegean sea and surrounding regions. Geophys. J.R. Astr. Soc.,55, 217–254.Google Scholar
- Mercier, J. L. (1981),Extensional-compressional tectonics associated with the Aegean arc: Comparison with the Andean-Cordillera of South Peru-North Bolivia. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A300, 337–335.Google Scholar
- Morelli, C., Gantar, G. andPisani, M. (1975),Bathymetry, gravity and magnetism in the strait of Sicily and in the Ionian Sea. Boll. Geof. Teor. Appl. XVII,65, 39–58.Google Scholar
- Panagiotopoulos, D. G. andPapazachos, B. C. (1985),Travel times of Pn waves in the Aegean and surrounding area. Geophys. J.R. Astr. Soc.80, 165–176.Google Scholar
- Panagiotopoulos, D. G., Hatzidimitriou, P. M. Karakaisis, G. F., Papadimitriou, E. E. andPapazachos, B. C. (1984),Travel-time residuals in southeastern Europe. Publication of the Geophysical Laboratory, University of Thessaloniki 17.Google Scholar
- Papadimitriou, E. E. andPapazachos, B. C. (1985a),Seismicity gaps in the Aegean and surrounding area. Boll. Geof. Teor. Appl. (in press).Google Scholar
- Papadimitriou, E. E. andPapazachos, B. C. (1985b),Evidence for premonitory patterns in the Ionian islands (Greece). Earthq. Pred. Res. (in press).Google Scholar
- Papazachos, B. C. andComninakis, P. E. (1982),A catalogue of historical earthquakes in Greece and surrounding area. Publication of the Geophysical Laboratory, University of Thessaloniki,6, 1–24.Google Scholar
- Papazachos, B. C., Tsapanos, T. M. andPanagiotopoulos, D. G. (1982),A premonitory pattern of earthquakes in northern Greece. Nature296 (5854), 232–235.Google Scholar
- Papazachos, B. C., Comninakis, P. E., Papadimitriou, E. E. andScordilis, E. M. (1984),Properties of the February–March 1981 seismic sequence in the Alkyonides gulf of Central Greece. Annales Geophysicae25, 537–544.Google Scholar