Variation of certain parameters of regional stress tensor under condition of rockburst hazard
- 55 Downloads
The feasibility of gaining valuable geomechanical information derived from seismological data and its specialist interpretation for utilisation in the area of assessing hazards due to mining tremors and rockbursts has become a development of signal importance in mining seismology. Undoubtedly of particular interest is a certain knowledge of the directions of the principal stresses σ1, σ2, σ3 of the regional stress tensor. For their determination, use is made of a set of parameters from the mining tremors' regional focal mechanism solutions (angular parameters of nodal planes and axes of principal stresses in the tremor focus —P andT). Results of research conducted at the Szombierki and Wujek mines and analysis of calculated results for parameters of regional stress tensor show that there exist appreciable differences between values of these parameters and also a clear correlation with local extraction conditions that is of significance from the point of view of seismic hazard.
Key wordsMining seismology rock body tremors regional stress tensor rockburst hazard
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aki, K., andRichards, P. G.,Quantitative Seismology-Theory and Methods, vols. 1, 2 (W. H. Freeman and Co., San Francisco 1980).Google Scholar
- Brillinger, D., Udias, A., andBolt, B. A. (1980),A Probability Model for Regional Focal Mechanism Solutions, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am.70, 149–170.Google Scholar
- Etchecopar, A., Vasseur, G., andDaigniers, M. (1981),An Inverse Problem in Microtectonics for the Determination of Stress Tensors from Fault Striation Analysis, J. Struct. Geol.3, 51–65.Google Scholar
- Gephart, J. W., andForsyth, D. W. (1984),An Improved Method for Determining the Regional Stress Tensor Using Earthquake Focal Mechanism Date: Application to the San Fernando Earthquake Sequence, J. Geophy. Res.89, 9305–0320.Google Scholar
- Gephart, J. W. (1990),FMSI: A Fortran Program for Inverting Fault-slickenside and Earthquake Focal Mechanism Data to Obtain the Regional Stress Tensor, Computers and Geosciences16 (7), 953–989.Google Scholar
- Gibowicz, S. J. (1989),Mechanizm ognisk wstrzasów górniczych, Publ. Inst. Geoph. Pol. Ac. Sc. M-13 (221), PWN, Waszawa-Lódź.Google Scholar
- Kasahara, K.,Earthquake Mechanism (Cambridge Univ. Press. London 1981).Google Scholar
- McKenzy, D. P. (1969),The Relation between Fault Plane Solution and the Directions of the Principal Stresses, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am.59, 591–601.Google Scholar
- Stec, K., Dubiński, J., andNowak, J. (1992),Correlation between the Parameters of Mining Tremors Focal Mechanism and the Seismic Hazard State Based on an Example of the Wujek Coal Mine, Acta Montana2, (88), 145–160.Google Scholar
- Wong, I. C. (1993),Tectonic stresses in mine seismicity: Are they significant? InRockburst and Seismicity in Mines 93 (ed. R P. Young) (Kingston, Ontario 1993), pp. 273–278.Google Scholar