Correlation functions of rainfall field and their application in network design in the tropics
- 46 Downloads
The study examines the correlation function of tropical monsoon rainfall on monthly, seasonal and annual time scales and obtains the relationship between this function and the distance. The area selected for study is Vidarbha with a fairly dense network of rain gauges. Vidarbha is a meteorological sub-division of the state of Maharashtra in India. Utilizing the relationship between the correlation function of the rainfall field and the distance, the errors of optimum interpolation of rainfall at a point have been computed by applying the method of optimum interpolation byGandin (1970). Relationships between the errors of interpolation and distance have been evaluated and from this the maximum spacing allowed between rain gauges for a specified tolerable error in interpolation has been estimated for each of the periods.
Key wordsCorrelation function Interpolation Network design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gandin, L. S. (1970),The Planning of Meteorological Station Networks, WMO Tech. Note 111, 35 pp.Google Scholar
- Gushchina, M. V., Kagan, R. L., andPolishchuk, A. I. (1967),Accuracy in Determining the Mean Precipitation Depth over an Area, Soviet Hydrology: Selected papers6, 585–596.Google Scholar
- Hendrick, R. L., andComer, G. H. (1970),Space Variation and Implication of Raingauge Network Design, J. Hydrol.10, 151–163.Google Scholar
- Hershfield, D. M. (1965),On the Spacing of raingauges, Proc. WMO/IASH Symposium on the Design of Hydrological Networks, Quebec, IASH Pub. No. 67, 72–79.Google Scholar
- Huff, F. A., andShipp, W. L. (1969),Special Correlation of Storm, Monthly and Seasonal Precipitation, J. appl. Met.8, 542–550.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, P. (1970),A Contribution to the Problem of Spacing Raingauges in Rugged Terrain, J. Hydrol.12, 1–14.Google Scholar
- Jackson, I. J. (1978),Local Differences in the Patterns of Variability of Tropical Rainfall: Some Characteristics and Implications, J. Hydrol.38, 273–287.Google Scholar
- Sharon, D. (1974),On the Modelling of Correlation Functions for Rainfall Studies, J. Hydrol.22, 219–224.Google Scholar
- Sharon, D. (1979),Correlation Analysis of the Jordan Valley Rainfall Field, Mon. Weath. Rev.109, 1042–1047.Google Scholar
- Stol, Ph. Th. (1972),The Relative Efficiency of the Density of Raingauge Networks, J. Hydrol.15, 193–208.Google Scholar