Periodic features of seismic activity in Albania
- 40 Downloads
By statistica means, the temporal variation of the seismic activity in Albania is discussed in this study. We have investigated the seismic energy release for this century also using the periodogram technique to study the time series of the seismic energy release.
A sequentially stationary model to evaluate the seismic rates for Albanian earthquakes with magnitudeM s ≥6.0, is constructed, by using the least square method.
The study of seismic energy release for Albanian earthquakes of this century and the time distribution of major earthquakes for the last two centuries supports the cyclicity of the seismic activity in a regional scale.
Key wordsSeismic activity seismic energy sequentially stationary model seismicity of Albania cyclicity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Båth, M., andDuda, S. (1979),Some Aspects of Global Seismicity, Tectonophys.54, T1–T8Google Scholar
- Bloomfield, P.,Fourier Analysis of Time Series: An Introduction (John Wiley and Sons 1976).Google Scholar
- Habermann, R. E., andWyss, M. (1984),Background Seismicity Rates and Precursory Seismic Quiescence: Imperial Valley, California, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am.74, 1743–1755.Google Scholar
- Kasahara, K.,Earthquake Mechanics (Cambridge Univ. Press 1981), 254 pp.Google Scholar
- Macropoulos, K., andJurton, P. W. (1981),A Catalogue of seismicity in Greece and Adjacent Areas, Geophys. J. R. Astr. Soc.65, 741–762 and Microfiche Gj 65/1Google Scholar
- Muço, B., andMinga, P. (1991),Magnitude Determination of Near Earthquakes for the Albanian Network, Boll. Geofis. Teor. Appl. XXXIII,129, 17–24.Google Scholar
- Muço, B. (1992),Feature of the Albanian Earthquakes and the Role of Underground Water in their Generation, Dc. Thesis. Seismological Center, Tirana, Albania, 160 pp. (in Albanian).Google Scholar
- Muço, B., andPuka, Li. (1993),Some Periodical Features of Seismic Activity in Albania, Abstracts of 2nd Workshop on Statistical Seismology, Kephalonia, Greece, June 1–5.Google Scholar
- Ogata, Y., andAbe, K. (1991),Some Statistical Features of the Long-term Variation of the Global and Regional Seismic Activity, Internat. Statist. Rev.59 (2), 139–161.Google Scholar
- Papadopoulos, G. A., andVoidomatis, Ph. (1987),Evidence for Periodic Seismicity in the Inner Aegean Seismic Zone, Pur and Appl. Geophys.125 (4), 613–622.Google Scholar
- Papazachos, B., andPapazachos, C. (1989),On Greek Earthquakes, Thessaloniki, 355 pp. (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Perez, O. J., andScholz, C. H. (1984),Heterogeneities of the Instrumental Seismicity Catalog (1904–1980) for Strong challow Earthquakes, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am.74, 669–686.Google Scholar
- Puka, Ll., andMuço, B. (1993),A Sequentially Stationary Model of Seismicity Rates for Albania, Contributed paper in ISI-49th Session, Firenze, August 25–Sept. 2.Google Scholar
- Richter, C. F.,Elementary Seismology (Freeman, San Francisco, California 1958).Google Scholar
- Shebalin, N. V., Karnik, V., andHadzievski, D. (eds.), (1974),Balkan Region — Catalogue of Earthquakes, UNESCO Project Office, Skopje.Google Scholar
- Sulstarova, E. (1974),The Seismicity of Albania, Ms. Thesis, Seismological Center, Tirana, Albania, 172 pp. (in Albanian).Google Scholar
- Sulstarova, E., andKoçjaj, S. (1975),The Catalogue of Albanian Earthquakes, Academy of Science, Tirana, Albania, 170 pp. (in Albanian).Google Scholar
- Sulstarova, E., Koçiaj, S., andAliaj, Sh. (1980),Seismic Regionalisation of the PSR of Albania, Academy of Sciences, Tirana, Albania, 274 pp.Google Scholar
- Sulstarova, E. (1986),The Earthquake Focal Mechanism in Albanian and Field of Present-day Tectonic stresses, Doctoral Thesis, Seismological Center, Tirana, Albania (in Albanian).Google Scholar