Elastic strain rebound increments for the Hindukush region has been studiedwhich revealed a cyclic pattern of strain release in this area where the rate of strain release decreases with time. The spatial distribution of earthquakes clearly defines the Pamir knot where most of the shocks are concentrated. The dip of the deep seated fault which produces the earthquakes so frequently comes out to be 54° dipping in the northwest direction. This fault is best developed between 70 to 300 kilometers and perhaps both these levels represent tectonic discontinuities.
KeywordsSpatial Distribution Elastic Strain Cyclic Pattern Strain Release Tectonic Discontinuity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. K. Banerjee,Earthquakes in the Himalayan region, (Indian Assoc. for the cultivation of Science, Jadavpur 1957).Google Scholar
- S. M. Mukherjee andA. R. Pillai,The Hindukush earthquake of November 21, 1939, I.M.D. Scientific notes vol. VIII,91 (1940), 85–90.Google Scholar
- M. S. Krishnan,Tectonics of India, Sym. of Tectonics, Nat. Inst. of Sciences (1965), 1–25.Google Scholar
- H. Benioff,Seismic evidence for the fault origin of oceanic deeps, Bull. Geol. Soc. Am.60 (1949), 1837–56.Google Scholar
- H. Benioff,Global strain accumulation and release as revealed by great earthquakes, Bull. Geol. Soc. Am.62 (1951), 331–338.Google Scholar
- H. Benioff,Orogenis and deep crustal structure-additional evidence from Seismology, Bull. Geol. Soc. Am.65 (1954), 385–400.Google Scholar
- H. Benioff,Seismic evidence for crustal structure and tectonic activity, Bull. Geol. Soc. Am. Spee. paper 62, pp. 61–74.Google Scholar
- C. F. Richter,Elementary Seismology (W. H. Freeman and Co., San Francisco 1958).Google Scholar
- B. Gutenberg andC. F. Richter,Seismicity of the Earth and associated phenomena, 2nd Ed. (Princeton Univ. Press 1954).Google Scholar
- David Griggs,The creep of rocks, Jour. Geol.67 (1939), 25–251.Google Scholar
- David Gutts andDavid Himmelfarb,The creep phenomena in ropes and cords, Am. Soc. Test. Mat. Pr.,40, 1940), 1251.Google Scholar
- R. K. S. Chouhan,Regional strain release characteristics for Indian regions, Bull. Seis. Soc. Am.56 (1966), 749–54.Google Scholar
- A. R. Ritsema,The fault plane technique and the mechanism in the focus of the Hindukush earthquakes, Indian Jl. of Met. and Geophys.6 (1954) 41–50.Google Scholar