On the large scale motion in the tropics with latent heat due to condensation
- 34 Downloads
A scale analysis for the large scale tropical motions with diabatic heating due to the latent heat of condensation is given. The analysis shows that the diabatic heating term in the thermodynamic energy equation becomes important when the rainfall rate is equal or greater than 2 mm per day.
KeywordsLatent Heat Energy Equation Scale Analysis Diabatic Heating Rainfall Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V. Brahmananda Rao,Stability properties of large scale disturbances in the atmosphere, unpublished manuscript (1968).Google Scholar
- J. G. Charney,On the scale of atmospheric motions, Geof. Publ.17 (1948), 17.Google Scholar
- J. G. Charney,Intergrations of the primitive and balance equations, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Numerical Weather Prediction in Tokyo, The Meteorological Society, Japan (1962).Google Scholar
- J. G. Charney,A note on the large scale motion in the tropics, J. Atmos. Sci.20 (1963), 607–609.Google Scholar
- J. G. Charney andA. Eliassen,On the growth of the hurricane depression, J. Atmos. Sci.21 (1964), 68–75.Google Scholar
- A. Kasahara,A Numerical Experiment on the development of a Tropical Cyclone, J. Meteor.18 (1961), 259–282.Google Scholar
- H. L. Kuo,On the formation and intensification of Tropical Cyclones through latent heat release by cumulus convection, J. Atmos. Sci.22 (1965), 40–63.Google Scholar
- S. Manabe andJ. Smagorinsky,Simulated climatology of general circulation model with a hydrologic cycle. II Analysis for tropical Atmosphere, Monthly Weather Rev95 (1967), 155–169.Google Scholar
- K. Ooyama,A dynamical model of the study of tropical cyclone development, Dept. of Meteorology and Oceanography, New York University (1963).Google Scholar
- N. A. Phillips,Geostrophic motion, Rev. Geophys.1 (1963), 123–176.Google Scholar
- K. N. Rao andV. V. R. P. Rao,Average amount of rainfall on a rainy day in India, Indian J. Meteor. Geophys.8 (1957), 1–12.Google Scholar