Propagation of Rayleigh waves in an axially symmetric heterogeneous layer lying between two homogeneous halfspaces
- 24 Downloads
The propagation of Rayleigh type waves in an axially symmetric inhomogeneous layer lying between two halfspaces is studied. The halfspaces are supposed to be identical in their elastic properties. The variation of the parameters in the layer is assumed to be of the form\(\lambda /\lambda _0 = \mu /\mu _0 = 1/(1 + \alpha z),\varrho /\varrho _0 = 1/(1 + \alpha z)^2 \) where α is a constant andz is the distance measured from one interface into the layer. With this assumption, the vector wave equation for the layer is separable. The solution is obtained in terms ofWhittaker's functions and the frequency equation of Rayleigh type waves is derived.
KeywordsWave Equation Vector Wave Elastic Property Rayleigh Wave Type Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. C. Alverson, F. C. Gain andJ. F. Hook,Uncoupled equations of motion in nonhomogeneous elastic media, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am.53 (5) (1963), 1023.Google Scholar
- S. Dutta,Rayleigh Waves in a two-layered heterogeneous medium, Bull. Seism Soc. Am.53 (3) (1963), 517Google Scholar
- J. F. Hook,Separation of the vector wave equation of elasticity for inhomogeneous media, J. Acoust Soc. Am.33 (1961), 302.Google Scholar
- J. F. Hook,Contributions to the theory of separability of the vector wave equation of elasticity for inhomogeneous media. J. Acoust Soc. Am.34 (1962), 946.Google Scholar
- Th. Karlson andJ. F. Hook, Lamb's problem for an inhomogeneous medium with constant velocities of propagation, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am.53 (5) (1963), 1007.Google Scholar
- M. H. Lock,Axially symmetric elastic waves in an unbounded inhomogeneous medium with exponentially varying properties, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am.53 (3) (1963), 527.Google Scholar
- M. Mitra,Note on a type of surface waves travelling in a semi-infinite solid of varying elasticity and density, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am.48 (1958), 399.Google Scholar
- M. Newlands,Rayleigh waves in a two layer heterogeneous medium, Monthly Not. Roy. Astr. Soc. Geophys. Suppl.6 (1950), 109.Google Scholar
- R. Stoneley,The transmission of Rayleigh waves in a heterogeneous medium, Monthly Not. Roy. Astr. Soc., Geophys. Suppl.3, (6) (1934), 222.Google Scholar
- E. T. Whittaker andG. N. Watson,A course of Modern Analysis, 4th Ed. (Cambridge University Press, 1927), 337.Google Scholar