Signal-to-noise-ratio improvement of a linear seismic array
- 79 Downloads
The aim of this paper is improvement in signal-to-noise-ratio (SNR) through the use of a linear seismic array. The noise is considered to be composed of a coherent part with nature similar to that of incoming signals and an incoherent part having a constant power all across the array. All possible values of seismometer positions which minimise the coherent noise power are derived. Advantages of the delayed-summation processing technique, in so far as it enables us to obtain superior values of the signal-to-noise-ratio improvement, and furnishes unique values of signal wavelengths and signal amplitudes as compared to the simple-summation technique which gives relatively inferior values ofSNR, and enables us to obtain the signal wave-lengths as solutions of a trigonometric equation are brought out analytically. Being suitable for field work due to its simple nature, the simplesummation technique is studied in detail. Upper limit on the value of array aperture for actual improvement of all the expected signals are found. Requirements to be met for achieving the optimum value of theSNR improvement are deduced.
KeywordsProcessing Technique Field Work Signal Amplitude Noise Power Actual Improvement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. W. Birtil andF. E. Whiteway,The application of phased arrays to the analysis of the seismic body waves, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. (London)258 (1965), 421.Google Scholar
- F. W. Carpenter,A historical review of large aperture seismometer array, Proc. I.E.E.E.53 (1965), 1816Google Scholar
- E. J. Douze,Signal and noise in deep wells, Geophysics29 (1964), 721.Google Scholar
- P. E. Green, R. A. Frosh andC. F. Romney,Large aperture seismic arrays, Proc. I.E.E.E.53 (1965), 1821.Google Scholar
- E. S. Husebye andB. Janson,Application of array data processing technique to the Swedish seismograph stations, Pure and Applied Geophysics63 (1966), 82.Google Scholar
- R. B. Roden,Horizontal and vertical arrays for teleseismic signal enhancement, Geophysics30 (1965), 597.Google Scholar
- F. E. Whiteway,The recording and analysis of seismic body waves using linear cross arrays, The Radio and Electronic Engineer,29 (1965), 33.Google Scholar