Propagation of one-dimensional unloading waves in materials exhibiting yielding delay phenomena
- 54 Downloads
The nature of possible unloading waves in materials exhibiting yielding delay phenom ena has been discussed in this paper. The differential equation governing the propagation of the waves, has been solved by this method of characteristics. In this case also as in materials not exhibiting yielding delay phenomena, the unloading wave propagates with the velocity of elastic waves, if it is a wave of discontinuity, and if the load is suddenly increased the unloading wave travels with plastic wave velocity.
KeywordsDifferential Equation Wave Velocity Elastic Wave Wave Travel Plastic Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. Hopkinson,The effects of momentary stresses, Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. (1905), V-74.Google Scholar
- D. S. Clark andD. S. Wood,The time delay for the initiation of plastic deformation at rapidly applied constant stress, Proc. ASTM.49 (1949).Google Scholar
- D. S. Wood andD. S. Clark,The influence of temperature upon the time decay for yielding in annealed mild stell, Trans. Am. Soc. Met.43, (1951), 571.Google Scholar
- T. Vreeland, D. S. Wood andD. S. Clark,A study of the mechanism of the delayed time phenomenon, Trans. Am. Soc. Met.45 (1953).Google Scholar
- J. E. Johnson, D. S. Wood andD. S. Clark,Delayed yielding in annealed low carbon steel under compressive impact, Proc. ASTM.53 (1953).Google Scholar
- J. D. Campbell,The dynamic yielding of mild steel, Acta Metallurgica1, 6 (1953).Google Scholar
- J. D. Campbell,The yield of mild steel under impact loading, J. Mech. Phys. Solids3, No. 1.Google Scholar
- D. B. C. Taylor,the dynamic straining of metals having definite yield points, J. Mech. Phys. Solids3.Google Scholar
- J. D. Campbell andJ. Duby,Delayed yield and other dynamic loading phenomena in a medium carbon-steel, Proc. Conf. Properties of materials at high rates of strain (London, 1957).Google Scholar
- A. H. Cottrell andB. A. Bilby,Dislocation theory of yielding and strain again of iron, Proc. Phys. Soc. Lond. [A]42 (1949).Google Scholar
- V. S. Lensky andL. N. Fomina,Propagation of one-dimensional waves in materials exhibiting yielding delay phenomena. Izv. Academi Nauk. SSSR, OTN, Mekhan. i Mashinostr.3 (1959).Google Scholar