A phase II study of crisnatol mesylate in patients with ovarian carcinoma
Fourteen patients with advanced ovarian cancer received a 72 hour infusion of a new DNA intercalator, crisnatol mesylate, administered intravenously. There was no evidence of antitumor efficacy. A syndrome of nausea and vomiting associated with vertigo, dizziness and ataxia was observed in nearly all patients. Two of the patients developed severe CNS toxicity manifested in one by a grand-mal seizure and in the other by peripheral neuropathy. Further explorations into the potential efficacy of crisnatol mesylate administered intraperitoneally are underway.
Key wordscrisnatol AMAP ovary phase II
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adams DJ, Knick VC, Clendeninn NJ, Bair KW, Tuttle RL BW A77OU: An antitumor DNA intercalator that displays limited and nonpleotropic cross resistance to other anttumor agents. Proc Amer Assoc Cancer Res 28:300, 1987Google Scholar
- 2.Bair KW, Andrews CW, Tuttle RL, Knick VC, McKee DD, Cory M: Biophysical studies and murine anti-tumor activity of arylmethylaminopropanediols (AMAP) a new class of DNA binding drugs. Proc Amer Assoc Cancer Res 27:424, 1986Google Scholar
- 3.Adams DJ, Tuttle RL, Knick VC, Wilson JG: Characterization ofin vivo resistance to BW A77OU a novel arylmethylaminopropanediols (AMAP) antitumor agent. Proc Amer Assoc Cancer Res 27:424, 1986Google Scholar
- 4.Everitt BJM, Grebe G, MacKars A, MacKlin AW, Whisnant JK, Tuttle RL: Comparative pharmacology and toxicology of three arylmethylaminopropanediols (AMAP): BW A77OU, BW A773U, and BW 5020U. Proc Amer Assoc Cancer Res 27:424, 1986Google Scholar
- 5.Woolley JL Jr, Wargin WA, Hsieh A, Liao SH, Blum MR, Crouch RC, Sigel CW: Disposition of the arylmethylaminopropanediol (AMAP) BW A77OU in the rat and the dog. Proc Amer Assoc Cancer Res 27:423, 1986Google Scholar
- 6.Knick VC, Tuttle RL, Bair KW, von Hoff DD: Murine and human tumor stem cell activity of free candidate arylmethylaminopropanediols (AMAPs). Proc Amer Assoc Cancer Res 27:424, 1986Google Scholar
- 7.Adams DJ, Watkins PJ, Knick VC, Tuttle RL, Bair KW: Evaluation of arylmethylaminopropanediols by a novelin vitro pharmacodynamic assay: Correlation with antitumor activityin vivo. Cancer Res 50:3553–3669, 1990Google Scholar
- 8.Poplin EA, Chabot GG, Tuttle RL, Lucas V, Wargin WA, Baker LH: Crisnatol mesylate: Phase I dose escalation by extending infusion duration. Invest New Drugs 9:41, 1991Google Scholar
- 9.Harman G, Craig J, Kuhn J, Luther J, Turner J, Weiss G, Tweedy D, Koeller J, Tuttle R, Lucas V, Wargin W, Whisnant J, VonHoff D: Phase I and clinical pharmacology trial of crisnatol (BWA77OU mesylate) using a monthly single dose schedule. Cancer Res 48:4706–4710, 1988Google Scholar
- 10.Alberts D: Personal Communication 1989Google Scholar
- 11.Adams D: Studies on crisnatol (BWA77OU): Examination of the effects of concentration and time on three concurrent cytotoxicity parameters in MCF7 cells. Proc Amer Assoc Cancer Res 29:490, 1988Google Scholar
- 12.Adams DJ:In vitro pharmacodynamic assay for cancer drug development: Application to crisnatol, a new DNA intercalator. Cancer Res 49:6615–6620, 1989Google Scholar