An empirical relationship between temperature, vapour pressure deficit and wind speed and evaporation during a winter chinook
- 345 Downloads
Evaporation rates determined by energy balance and bulk transfer equations and confirmed with soil moisture sampling was regressed against average daytime temperature, vapour pressure deficit and wind speed over several chinook events between 1986 and 1988. The equationE = 0.45 exp (0.35\(\overline T \) + 0.025ū — 0.133 [e* —e]) yielded reasonable estimates of evaporation with surface soil moisture between saturation and near wilting point.E is evaporation in mmd−1,T, u ande* ande are temperature (°C), wind speed (ms−1), saturation vapour pressure and vapour pressure (mb) respectively. The overbar denotes daytime average.
KeywordsWaste Water Evaporation Wind Speed Soil Moisture Vapour Pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brutsaert, W., 1982:Evaporation into the Atmosphere. Boston: D. Reidel, 299 pp.Google Scholar
- Hutchinson, B. A., 1966: A comparison of evaporation for snow and soil surfaces.Bull. Int. Assoc. Sc. Hydr. 11, 34–42.Google Scholar
- Linsley, R. K., Kohler, M. A., Paulhus, J. L. H., 1982:Hydrology for Engineers. New York: McGraw-Hill, 508 pp.Google Scholar
- Mahrt, J., Ek, E., 1984: The influence of atmospheric stability on potential evaporation.J. Climate Appl. Meteor. 23, 222–228.Google Scholar
- Monteith, J. L., 1986: Evaporation and environment.Symp. Soc. Exp. Biol. 19, 205–234.Google Scholar
- Nkemdirim, L. C., 1974: Windshear, temperature gradient and eddy diffusivity over a growing crop.Arch. Met. Geoph. Biocl., Ser. A 23, 65–76.Google Scholar
- Nkemdirim, L. C. (submitted): Chinooks and winter evaporation.Theor. Appl. Climatol. Google Scholar
- Shuttleworth, W. J., Gosh, J. H. C., Lloyd, C. R., Moore, C. J. Roberto, J., et al., 1984: Eddy correlation measurements of energy partitions for Amazon forest.Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. 110, 1143–1162.Google Scholar
- Steed, G. L., 1982: The effect of cover and chinooks on snowpack in Alberta.Proc. Can. Hydr. Symp., Ottawa, 138–146.Google Scholar
- Stewart, J. B., Thom, A. S., 1973: Energy budgets in pine forest.Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. 99, 154–170.Google Scholar
- Thom, A. S., 1975: Momentum, mass and heat exchange of plant communities. In: Monteith, J. L. (ed.)Vegetation and the Atmosphere, Vol. 1, Chp. 3. London: Academic Press.Google Scholar