Relationships between circulation and rainfall over India during the southwest monsoon season Part I — surface pressure
Rainfall over India during the southwest monsoon season exhibits large intraseasonal fluctuations. The surface pressure fields illustrate the important circulation changes and the general conditions of active and break monsoon situations. We have studied the relationship between these two successive fields at daily to monthly time scales using montly data, from July through September for an 11 year period (1966–1976). Lag relationships were also investigated to ascertain the nature of evolutionary patterns through which pressure affects rainfall and so assess the potential for predicting rainfall with the use of pressure fields. Finally, the relationship between pressure and rainfall (linear or non-linear) was examined with the use of quartile plots.
KeywordsIndia Climate Change Waste Water Water Pollution Surface Pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhalme, H. N., 1971: An objective approach to forecasting of 5-day total rainfall of stations in Peninsular India. Proc. Symp. on “Water Resource”, Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore, May 1971, p. A5–1, A5-14.Google Scholar
- Klein, W. H., 1963: Specification of precipitation from 700 mb circulation.Mon. Wea. Rev. 91, 527–536.Google Scholar
- Koteswaram, P., 1950: Upper level lows in low latitudes in the Indian area during the southwest monsoon season and “breaks” in the monsoon.Ind. J. Met. Geophys. 1, 162–164.Google Scholar
- Singh, S. V., Kripalani, R. H., Paul, D. K., 1984: Surface pressure anomaly pattern types and their application in forecasting daily rainfall distribution over India.Mausam 35, 47–54.Google Scholar
- Singh, S. V., Kripalani, R. H., 1986: Application of extended empirical orthogonal function analysis to interrelationships and sequential evolution of monsoon fields.Mon. Wea. Rev. 114, 1603–1610.Google Scholar
- Singh, S. V., Kripalani, R. H., Sikka, D. R., 1992: Interannual variability of the Madden-Julian oscillation in the Indian summer monsoon rainfall.J. Climate 5, 973–978.Google Scholar
- Stidd, C. K., 1954: The use of correlation fields in relating precipitation to circulation.J. Meteor. 11, 202–213.Google Scholar
- Nagar, S. G., 1990: The variations in surface pressure fields and their relationship with rainfall over India during summer monsoon. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Poona, pp. 60–64.Google Scholar
- Tukey, J. W., 1977:Exploratory Data Analysis. Chicago, Mass.: Addison-Wesley, pp. 39–41.Google Scholar