One limiting scheme for the propagation of a pulsating exothermic reaction front in a condensed medium
In connection with studies on the synthesis of various solid substances in a combustion wave (self-propagating high-temperature synthesis) [1–3] a model is proposed for the unsteady combustion of gasless compositions which describes the relaxation mechanism of the propagation of an exothermic chemical reaction front in a condensed system, forming refractory products. The period of the oscillations in the combustion rate, the movement of the reaction front during one oscillation, and other characteristics of the process are determined. A comparison is made with the results of numerical calculations.
KeywordsCombustion Mathematical Modeling Mechanical Engineer Numerical Calculation Industrial Mathematic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. G. Shkadinskii, B. I. Khaikin, and A. G. Merzhanov, “Propagation of the pulsating front of an exothermic reaction in a condensed phase,” Fiz. Goreniya i Vzryva,7, No. 1 (1971).Google Scholar
- 2.A. P. Aldushin, T. M. Martem'yanova, A. G. Merzhanov, B. I. Khaikin, and K. G. Shkadinskii, “Self-oscillating progapation of a combustion front in heterogeneous condensed media,” ibid.,9, No. 5 (1973).Google Scholar
- 3.A. G. Merzhanov, A. K. Filonenko, and I. P. Borovinskaya, “New phenomena in the combustion of condensed systems,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,208, No. 4 (1973).Google Scholar
- 4.E. M. Maksimov and K. G. Shkadinskii, “Stability of steady combustion of gasless compositions,” Fiz., Goreniya i Vzryva,7, No. 3 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.G. M. Makhviladze and B. V. Novozhilov, “Two-dimensional stability of the combustion of condensed systems,” in: Heat and Mass Transfer [in Russian], Vol. 2, Minsk (1972).Google Scholar
- 6.V. B. Librovich and G. M. Makhviladze, “Relaxation oscillations in the propagation velocity of a chemical reaction front in a condensed medium,” in: Summaries of Reports of All-Union Conference on Combustion Processes in Chemical Technology and Metallurgy [In Russian], Chernogolovka (1973).Google Scholar
- 7.B. V. Novozhilov, “An equation for the unsteady combustion rate of a powder,” Zh. Prikl. Mekh. Tekh. Fiz., No. 4 (1970)Google Scholar
- 8.Ya. B. Zel'dovich, “Theory of ignition by an incandescent surface,” Zh. Éksp. i Teor. Fiz.,9, No. 12 (1939).Google Scholar
- 9.Ya. B. Zel'dovich, “On the thermal theory of ignition,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,150, No. 2 (1963).Google Scholar
- 10.V. N. Vilyunov, “On the thermal theory of ignition,” Fiz. Goreniya i Vzryva,2, No. 2 (1966).Google Scholar
- 11.Z. I. Fur, “Mechanism of propagation of combustion in a smokeless powder,” Inzh.-Fiz., No. 12 (1963).Google Scholar
- 12.I. D. Huffington, “The unsteady burning of cordite,” Trans. Faraday Soc.,50, 942–952 (1954).Google Scholar