Serum prolactin response to repetitive epileptic seizures
- 28 Downloads
We measured postictal prolactin (PRL) levels during repetitive seizures in 14 patients (10 men and 4 women) suffering from epilepsy with focal and/or secondarily generalized seizures. Between two and six seizures occurred per patient (mean 2.7). The interveral between seizures was 15 min and 8 h 40 min (mean 3 h 32 min). Five of the 14 patients showed a marked postictal PRL rise after each seizure (i.e. concentrations above 700 μU/ml for women, 500 μU/ml for men). In the remaining 9 patients there was no detectable rise in PRL. A decrease in PRL did not occur in any of the 14 patients. In those patients who had shown a marked PRL increase after the first seizure, the PRL continued to rise in subsequent seizures. Unlike previous investigations, these results show that repetitive epileptic seizures are not necessarily followed by a decrease in postical PRL levels. A decrease in PRL response is known to occur if there is progression to status epilepticus.
Key wordsEpilepsy Prolactin Repetitive seizures Status epilepticus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bauer J, Landgraf S, Schrell U, Stefan H (1991) Anstieg der Serum-Prolactinkonzentration nach Frontallappenanfällen. Möglichkeit zur Differentialdiagnose psychogener Anfälle. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 1126:1824–1827Google Scholar
- 5.Bauer J, Stefan H, Schrell U, Uhlig B, Landgraf S, Neubauer U, Neundörfer B, Burr W (1992) Serum prolactin concentrations and epilepsy. A study which compares healthy subjects with a group of patients in presurgical evaluation and circadian variations with those related to seizures. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 241:365–371PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Elwes RD, Dellaportas C, Reynolds EH, Robinson W, Butt WR, London DR (1985) Prolactin and growth hormone dynamics in epileptic patients receiving phenytoin. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 23263–270Google Scholar
- 11.Jackel RA, Malkowicz D, Trivedi R, Sussman NM, Eskin BA, Harner RN (1987) Reduction of prolactin response with repetitive seizures (abstract). Epilepsia 28:588Google Scholar
- 12.Lindbom U, Tomson T, Nilsson BY, Andersson DEH (1992) Serum prolactin response to TRH during status epilepticus (abstract). Seizure 1[Suppl A]:P3/10Google Scholar
- 14.Melis GB, Paoletti AM, Mais V, Mastrapasqua NM, Stringini F, Fruzzetti F, Guarnieri G, Gambacciani M, Fioretti F (1982) The effect of gabaergic drug, sodium valproate on prolactin secretion in normal and hyperprolactinemic subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 54:585–589Google Scholar
- 19.Trimble MR (1978) Serum prolactin in epilepsy and hysteria. BMJ 2:1628Google Scholar