Transverse stability of a liquid jet in a counterflowing air stream
- 36 Downloads
The development of small perturbations which bend a liquid jet in a counterflowing air stream is analyzed here. It is demonstrated that the most dangerous perturbations of the jet axis have a spatial distribution, and the increment of perturbation buildup is calculated.
KeywordsStatistical Physic Spatial Distribution Small Perturbation Transverse Stability Dangerous Perturbation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Henlein, “Breakup of a liquid jet,” in: Internal-Combustion Engines [Russian translation], Vol. 1, Ob'ed. Nauch. Tekh. Izd., Moscow-Leningrad (1936), pp. 5–24.Google Scholar
- 2.V. A. Ivanov, “Breakup of a liquid jet,” Zh. Prikl. Mekh. Tekh. Fiz., No. 4, 30–37 (1966).Google Scholar
- 3.R. P. Grant and S. Middleman, “Newtonian jet stability,” J. AIChE,12, 669–678 (1966).Google Scholar
- 4.R. W. Fenn and S. Middleman, “Newtonian jet stability: role of air resistance,” J. AIChE,15, 379–383 (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Weber, “Breakup of a liquid jet,” in: Internal-Combustion Engines [Russian translation], Vol. 1, Ob'ed, Nauch. Tekh. Izd., Moscow-Leningrad (1936), pp. 25–54.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Debye and J. Daen, “Stability considerations with regard to nonviscous jets exhibiting surface or body tension,” Phys. Fluids,2, 416–421 (1959).Google Scholar
- 7.V. M. Entov and A. L. Yarin, “Dynamics of a liquid jet,” Preprint, Inst. Prikl. Fiz. Akad. Nauk SSSR, No. 127, Moscow (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.M. J. Lighthill, “A note on slender fish swimming,” J. Fluid Mech.,9, 305–317 (1960).Google Scholar
- 9.T. Wu. “Hydrodynamics of swimming propulsion, Part 3: Swimming and optimum movements of slender fish with side fins,” J. Fluid Mech.,46, 545–568 (1971).Google Scholar
- 10.G. V. Logvinovich, “Hydrodynamics of fish swimming,” in: Bionics [in Russian], No. 7, Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1973), pp. 3–8.Google Scholar
- 11.A. M. Sterling and C. A. Sleicher, “The instability of capillary jets,” J. Fluid Mech.,68, 477–495 (1975).Google Scholar