Bending strength of oriented glass-reinforced plastics
- 24 Downloads
The authors consider the effect of the low shear strength and shear stiffness of oriented glass-reinforced plastics (GRP) on the stress distribution and type of failure in bending. On the basis of relations obtained in  it is shown that the effect of shears on the magnitude and law of distribution of the normal and shear stresses is important only for very short beams made of materials with a low shear stiffness. An experimental study of the nature of failure in bending has revealed that the chief cause of extension of the region of shear failure of oriented GRP is the low shear strength of the material, and has made it possible to establish the limits of this region for three typical materials. Anisotropy of the elastic properties has little effect on the type of failure in bending.
KeywordsAnisotropy Shear Stress Experimental Study Shear Strength Stress Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. M. Tarnopol'skii, A. V. Roze, and V. A. Polyakov, Mekh. polim. [Polymer Mechanics],2, 38, 1965.Google Scholar
- 2.V. L. Biderman, in: Strength Calculations [in Russian], II, Moscow, 1965.Google Scholar
- 3.M. K. Smirnova, V. P. Sokolov, Ya. S. Sidorin, and A. P. Ivanov, Ivanov, Strength of Fiberglass Hulls [in Russian], Izd-vo Sudustroenie, Leningrad, 1965.Google Scholar
- 4.V. I. Feodos'ev, Strength of Materials [in Russian], Moscow, 1964.Google Scholar
- 5.I. W. Case and I. D. Robinson, Mod. Plast.,32, 7, 151, 1955.Google Scholar
- 6.V. M. Grezin and M. E. Kagan, "Static bending tests on glass-refnforced plastics," Standartizatsiya,2, 38, 1964.Google Scholar
- 7.Yu. M. Tarnopol'skii and A. V. Roze, Mekh. polim. [Polymer Mechanics], 5, 107, 1965.Google Scholar
- 8.N. V. Smirnov and I. V. Dunin-Barkovskii, Short Course of Mathematical Statistics for Technical Applications [in Russian], Fizmatgiz, 258, 1959.Google Scholar
- 9.R. P. Shlitsa, Mekh. polim. [Polymer Mechanics],2, 307, 1966.Google Scholar
- 10.Book of ASTM Standards, Part 27. Standard ASTM D 790–63, 1964.Google Scholar