Instability of the crystallites in oriented polymers under load
Large-angle x-ray diffraction and infrared spectroscopy have been used to investigate the behavior of the crystalline zones in oriented polymers under load. It is shown that under the influence of a load applied along the axis of orientation the crystallites are partially destroyed, the more so the greater the applied stress. For different polymers the destruction of the crystallites is the greater the weaker the intermolecular bonds. The stability of the crystallites is improved by orientation.
KeywordsPolymer Spectroscopy Infrared Spectroscopy Applied Stress Intermolecular Bond
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Hess and H. Kissig, "Zur Kenntnis der Feinstruktur der Poliamidfasern," Naturwiss.,31, 171 (1943).Google Scholar
- 2.S. N. Zhurkov, V. A. Marikhin, L. P. Myasnikova, and A. I. Slutsker, "Electron microscope study of the orientation of polycaprolactam," Vysokomolek. Soed.,7, No. 6, 1041–1045 (1965).Google Scholar
- 3.A. Peterlin, "Morphology and fracture of drawn crystalline polymers," J. Macromol. Sci. Phys.,B8, No. 12, 83–89 (1973).Google Scholar
- 4.D. C. Prevorsek, P. Y. Harget, A. C. Reimschuessel, and R. K. Sharta, "Nylon 6 fibers: Changes in structure between moderate and high draw ratios," J. Macromol. Sci. Phys.,B8, No. 12, 127–156 (1973).Google Scholar
- 5.S. N. Zhurkov, A. I. Slutsker, and A. A. Yastrebinskii, "Effect of loading on the supermolecular structure of oriented polymers," Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,153, No. 2, 303–305 (1963).Google Scholar
- 6.S. N. Zhurkov, V. I. Vettegren', V. E. Korsukov, and I. I. Novak, "Infrared spectroscopic determination of the overstressed chemical bonds in polymers," Fiz. Tverd. Tela,11, No. 2, 290–295 (1969).Google Scholar
- 7.V. A. Sluchkov and I. I. Novak, "Molecular orientation and its effect on the crystalline fraction in polyethylene," Vysokomolek. Soed., Ser. A,11, No. 12, 2753–2757 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.B. E. Read and R. S. Stein, "Study of amorphous phase orientation in polyethylene and some ethylene copolymers with the help of polarized IR spectroscopy," Macromolecules,1, No. 2, 116 (1968).Google Scholar
- 9.L. M. Mandel'kern, in: Crystallization of Polymers [in Russian], Moscow-Leningrad (1966), pp. 124–149.Google Scholar
- 10.N. A. Gushchina, V. A. Kosobukin, and A. D. Chevychelov, "Static tension and extraction activation energy for a polymer chain passing through a crystallite," Fiz. Tverd. Tela,16, No. 10, 3000–3006 (1974).Google Scholar