Polarography of thiocyanato-derivatives of thiophene
- 9 Downloads
The polarographic reduction of 17 thiocyanatothiophenes with various functional substituants was studied. The mechanism of the reduction of the thiocyanato-group in this series does not differ from that known for other thiocyanato-derivatives. The mercapto-group formed in the reduction exists in the form of the thienylmercaptide anion in neutral unbuffered medium.
Satisfactory correlation is observed between the half-wave potential and the Hammett constants for 5-substituted 2-thiocyanatothiophenes with a value of the slope 0.48±0.03. On the basis of the correlation equation obtained, an approximate value of −(0.14±0.06) was calculated for the Hammett constant of the substituent S−.
KeywordsThiophene Correlation Equation Polarography Satisfactory Correlation Hammett Constant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu.V. Shcheglov, F.M. Stoyanovich, Yu.Ya. Spiridonov, and A.I. Miteshev, USSR Patent No. 197360 (1960); Byul. Izobr., No. 12, 162 (1967).Google Scholar
- 2.N.N. Mel'nikov and Yu.A. Baskakov, The Chemistry of Herbicides and Plant Growth Regulators [in Russian], Goskhimizdat (1962), p. 11.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Schwabe, Z. Elektrochem.,53, 347 (1949).Google Scholar
- 4.K. Schwabe and J. Voigt, Z. Elektrochem.,56, 44 (1952).Google Scholar
- 5.P. Lanza, L. Griggio, and G. Semerano, Contr. Teor. Sper. di Polarografia,2, 230 (1956).Google Scholar
- 6.V. Bellavita, N. Tedi, and N. Cagnoli, Ricerca Scient.,25, 504 (1955).Google Scholar
- 7.V. Bellavita, A. Ricci, and N. Tedi, Ann. Chimie (Roma),46, 283 (1956).Google Scholar
- 8.Ya. Stradyn', A. Yurashek, and G. Reikhmanis, Zh. Obshch. Khim.,35, 768 (1965).Google Scholar
- 9.S.G. Mairanovskii and F.S. Titov, Zh. Analiticheskoi Khim.,15, 121 (1960).Google Scholar
- 10.F.M. Stoyanovich, G.I. Gorushkina, and Ya.L. Gol'dfarb, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 387 (1969).Google Scholar
- 11.F.M. Stoyanovich, G.I. Gorushkina, and Ya.L. Gol'dfarb, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1851 (1970).Google Scholar
- 12.P. Zuman, Substituent Effects in Organic Polarography, Plenum Press, New York (1967).Google Scholar
- 13.S.G. Mairanovskii, N.V. Barashkova, and Yu.B. Vol'kenshtein, Élektrokhimiya,1, 72 (1965).Google Scholar
- 14.A.P. Tomilov, S.G. Mairanovskii, M.Ya. Fioshin, and V.A. Smirnov, The Electrochemistry of Organic Compounds [in Russian], Khimiya (1968), p. 62.Google Scholar