Endurance limit of polyethylene during cyclic loading under conditions of a plane stressed state
- 139 Downloads
The effect of the asymmetry of the loading cycle on the fatigue strength of HDPE subjected to biaxial tension has been studied. An increase in the acuteness of the cycle leads to an increase in the durability of the material. Under conditions of cyclic loading, the material became embrittled as the duration of the experiment was extended. The effect of various different ratios between the principal stresses on the fatigue strength of HDPE has been investigated. It has been shown that the form of the isochronous boundary curves depends on the duration of the experiment. It was established that the mechanism of HDPE fracture changes depended on the duration of the loading. The accumulation of defects, when an experiment was of average or longer duration, built up at a greater rate than would have been predicted by a linear rule for summation.
KeywordsFatigue Polyethylene Stressed State Principal Stress Cyclic Loading
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. K. Malmeister, V. P. Tamuzh, and G. A. Teters, The Strength of Rigid Polymeric Materials [in Russian], Btoroe Izd., Riga (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.N. E. Sarkisyan, "The experimental investigation of the anisotropy of the endurance limit, the deformability, and the warm-up of laminar plastics," Author's Abstract of Candidate's Dissertation, Erevan (1971).Google Scholar
- 3.V. A. Sherstnev and A. Ya. Gol'dman, "An apparatus for the testing of polymeric materials subjected to cyclic loading under conditions of a plane stressed state," Probl. Prochn., No. 12, 114–116 (1976).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Ya. Gol'dman and V. V. Shcherbak, "On the temperature-time relationship for the endurance limit and static fatigue of several partially crystalline polymers," Probl. Prochn., No. 11, 31–37 (1974).Google Scholar
- 5.A. M. Grinman and A. Ya. Gol'dman, "The endurance limit of polyethylene under conditions of biaxial tension," Mekh. Polim., No. 3, 401–408 (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.K. F. Kovalev and V. A. Sherstnev, "The endurance limit of several diverse polyamides," in: The Strength of Materials and Structures [in Russian], Leningrad (1973), pp. 35–37.Google Scholar
- 7.A. K. Mitropol'skii, The Technique of Statistical Calculations [in Russian], Btoroe Izd., Moscow (1971).Google Scholar
- 8.I. Baily, ‘An attempt to correlate some tensile strength measurements of glass," Glass Industry,20, Nos. 1–4, 26–28 (1939).Google Scholar