Use of general equations of isotherms for the adsorption of benzene-n-hexane solutions on the adsorbents of various characters
- 67 Downloads
A general equation of an adsorption isotherm from binary solutions of components with unlimited solubility on solid nondissolving adsorbents is derived. In the particular case of the absence of interaction with the adsorbent and the same areas per molecule of both components in the dense monolayers, this equation turns into the well-known Semenchenko equation. The constant of the solution-adsorbent equilibrium was isolated, and the influence of the activity coefficients of the volume and surface solutions was demonstrated.
An equation was derived as applied to the experimental isotherms for the adsorption of benzene + n-hexane solutions on three adsorbents: hydroxylated silica gel, highly dehydroxylated silica gel, and graphitized carbonblack. The values of the solution-adsorbent equilibrium constants found decrease in this series of adsorbents.
The adsorption isotherms calculated according to the equation derived, using the equilibrium constants found, satisfactorily describe the experimental isotherms.
KeywordsBenzene Adsorption Isotherm Equilibrium Constant Activity Coefficient General Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. V. Kiselev, Zh. fiz. khimii,35, 233 (1961); Quart. Rev.,15, 99 (1961); Vestn. Mosk. Univ., seriya khimii, No. 1, 3 (1962).Google Scholar
- 2.A. V. Kiselev, Uspekhi khimii,25, 705 (1956).Google Scholar
- 3.A. V. Kiselev and L. F. Pavlova, Koloidn. zh.,25, 537 (1963).Google Scholar
- 4.V. K. Semenchenko, Kolloid. Z.,60, 177 (1932); Kolloid, zh.,9, 125 (1947); Surface Phenomena in Metals and Alloys [in Russian], Gostekhteoretizdat, Moscow (1957), p. 148.Google Scholar
- 5.O. M. Dzhigit, A. V. Kiselev, M. G. Terekhova, and K. D. Shcherbakova, Zh. fiz. khimii,22, 107 (1948).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Siskova and E. Erdös, Collect. Czechoslov. Chem. Communs,25, 1729 and 2599 (1960);26, 3086 (1961).Google Scholar
- 7.G. Schay and L. Nagy, J. Chem. Phys.,58, 149 (1961).Google Scholar
- 8.A. V. Kiselev and L. F. Pavlova, Neftekhimiya,2, 861 (1962).Google Scholar
- 9.J. W. Gibbs, Thermodynamic Calculations [Russian translation, Editor V. K. Semenchenko], Gostekhizdat (1950).Google Scholar
- 10.S. Yu. Elovich and O. G. Larionov, Izv. AN SSSR. Otd. khim. n.,1962, 209, 216.Google Scholar
- 11.E. A. Guggenheim and N. K. Adam, Proc. Roy. Soc.,A139, 218 (1933).Google Scholar
- 12.S. P. Zhdanov, A. V. Kiselev, and L. F. Pavlova, Kinetika i Kataliz,3, 445 (1962).Google Scholar
- 13.A. V. Kiselev, V. N. Novikova, and Yu. A. Él'tekov, Kinetika i Kataliz,3, 937 (1962).Google Scholar
- 14.A. A. Isirikyan and A. V. Kiselev, J. Phys. Chem.,65, 601 (1961);66, 210 (1962); Zh. fiz. khimii,36, 1164 (1962).Google Scholar