Reactions of oxidation of sterically hindered silicon-containing phenols in the presence of molecular oxygen
- 21 Downloads
In the oxidation of shielded silicon-containing phenols by one-electron oxidizing agents in the presence of molecular oxygen, stable aroxyls are formed, which react further along two pathways: they are rearranged and dimerized, giving substituted siloxydiphenyls, and they are oxidized to the peroxide of 4,4′-bicyclohexadienone.
Oxidation in the presence of a copper-pyridine catalyst is specific, consisting of stripping of an alkyl substituent from the para-position and the formation of substituted 1,4-benzoquinones. The second pathway of the process is dimerization of the rearranged aroxyls with the formation of siloxydiphenyls.
KeywordsOxidation Oxygen Peroxide Phenol Molecular Oxygen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. V. Muslin, N. S. Vasileiskaya, M. L. Khidekel, and G. A. Razuvaev, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 181 (1966).Google Scholar
- 2.G. A. Razuvaev, N.S. Vasileiskaya, D. V. Muslin, J. Organometal. Chem.,7, 531 (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.C.D. Cook and B. Norcross, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.,78, 3797 (1956); H. Blanchard, J. Organ. Chem.,125, 264 (1960).Google Scholar
- 4.H.R. Gersmann and A. P. Bickel, J. Chem. Soc., 2356 (1962); C. D. Cook and C. B. Depatie, J. Organ. Chem.,24, 1144 (1959); G. N. Bogdanov and V. V. Ershov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 2145 (1962).Google Scholar
- 5.V. D. Pokhodenko, L. V. Ganyuk, and A. N. Brodskii, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,145, 815 (1962); C. D. Cook, N. G. Nash, and H. R. Flanagan, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.,77, 1783 (1955).Google Scholar
- 6.L.V. Gorbunova, N.S. Vasileiskaya, M. L. Khudekel, and G. A. Razuvaev, Zh. Organ. Khim.,2, 1233 (1966).Google Scholar
- 7.W. Brackman and E. Havinga, Recueil. Trav. Chim. Pays-Bas,74, No. 8/9, 1021 (1955).Google Scholar
- 8.J. L. Speer, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.,74, 1003 (1952).Google Scholar
- 9.G. D. Cooper, J. Organ. Chem.,51, 624 (1959).Google Scholar
- 10.G. N. Bortnikov, N. S. Vasileiskaya, L. V. Gorbunova, N. N. Nikulina, and Ya. I. Yashin, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 687 (1970).Google Scholar