Investigation of the hydrogenation of p-carboxybenzaldehyde in the presence of Pd-, Ru-, and Rh -catalysts
- 27 Downloads
The hydrogenation of p-carboxybenzaldehyde proceeds according to zero order with respect to the substrate and according to first order with respect to H2.
On Pd-catalysts, hydrogenation is accompanied by subsequent hydrogenolysis of the C-OH bond of the carbinol formed.
On a Rh-catalyst hydrogenolysis proceeds extremely slowly, while on a Ru-catalyst p-carboxy-benzyl alcohol is selectively formed.
KeywordsHydrogenation Alcohol Carbinol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.W.Meschke and W.H.Hartung, J.Organ.Chem.,25, 137 (1960).Google Scholar
- 2.S.Nishimura and M.Hama, Bull.Chem.Soc.Japan,39, 2467 (1966).Google Scholar
- 3.G.M.Gal'pern, V.A.Il'ina, P.M.Shumskaya, and V.N.Aleksandrov, Chemistry and Technology of Monomers. Transactions of the All-Union Scientific Research and Planning Institute of Monomers [in Russian], Vol. 2, No. 2 (1970), p.129.Google Scholar
- 4.A.St.Pfau, Helv.Chim.Acta,22, 550 (1939).Google Scholar
- 5.The Chemist's Handbook [in Russian], Vol. 1, Goskhimizdat (1963), p. 950.Google Scholar
- 6.P.N.Rylander and D.R.Steele, Engng.Ind.Tech.Bull.,6, 41 (1965).Google Scholar