Hydrogenation of 2-methyl-5-acetylfuran in a continuous-flow system under pressure on a skeletal Ni-Al catalyst
- 28 Downloads
The hydrogenation of 2-methyl-5-acetylfuran on a skeletal Ni-Al catalyst at 200–210° was investigated under hydrogen pressures of 10, 20, 40, 50, and 60 atm.
Increasing the hydrogen pressure from 10 to 50 atm suppresses the hydrogenolysis of the furan ring and the reduction of the carbonyl group of 2-methyl-5-acetylfuran to a CH2 group; at 60 atm, the transformations in the vapor phase hydrogenation do not occur at normal pressure.
In the hydrogenation of 2-methyl-5-acetylfuran on a Ni-Al catalyst in a flow-type setup, a pressure of 60 atm is sufficient for the selective production of the corresponding tetrahydrofuran alcohol.
KeywordsHydrogenation Alcohol Carbonyl Carbonyl Group Furan
- 1.N. I. Shuikin and V. I. Bunina, Zh. Obshch. Khimii,8, 669 (1938).Google Scholar
- 2.N. I. Shuikin, I. F. Bel'skii, and O. N. Savekina, Zh. Obshch. Khimii,29, 869 (1959).Google Scholar
- 3.C. L. Wilson, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.70, 1313 (1948).Google Scholar
- 4.N. I. Shuikin, V. A. Tulupov, and I. F. Bel'skii, Zh. Obshch. Khimii,25, 1175 (1955).Google Scholar
- 5.N. I. Shuikin and I. F. Bel'skii, Izv. AN SSSR. Otd. Khim. N.,1958, 309.Google Scholar
- 6.A. L. Dounce, R. H. Wardaw, and R. Connor, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.,57, 2556 (1935).Google Scholar
- 7.R. Paul, Bull. Soc. chim. France (5),4, 846 (1937).Google Scholar
- 8.N. I. Shuikin, G. K. Vasilevskaya, and I. F. Bel'skii, Izv. AN SSSR. Otd. Khim. N.,1963, 525.Google Scholar
- 9.N. I. Shuikin, I. F. Bel'skii, G. K. Vasilevskaya and V. M. Shostakovskii, Izv. AN SSSR. Ser. Khim.,1963, 1475.Google Scholar