Reaction of hydrogen chloride with halides of quaternary ammonium salts
The solubility of (n-C4H9)4NCl and (n-C4H9)4NBr in benzene was determined at 25°.
The interaction of gaseous HCl with tetra-substituted ammonium halides was investigated. A decrease in the dimensions of the anion and an increase in the dimensions of the cation promote interaction.
The behavior of the reaction products of HCl with tetra-substituted ammonium halides in benzene was investigated. In the case of salts sparingly soluble in benzene, the presence of a correlation between the aggregated state of the reaction products of HCl with the salts at 25° and their solubility in benzene at the same temperature was established.
KeywordsHydrogen Chloride Ammonium Benzene Halide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. Kaufler and E. Kunz, Ber.,42, 385 (1909).Google Scholar
- 2.H. F. Herbrandson, R. T. Dickerson (Jr), and J. Weinstein, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.,76, 4046 (1954).Google Scholar
- 3.D. H. Campbell, US Patent CIIIA 2 717 199, 6.9.1955.Google Scholar
- 4.T. C. Waddington, J. Chem. Soc.,1958, 1708.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Kaufler and E. Kunz, Ber.,42, 2482 (1909).Google Scholar
- 6.F. Ephraim, Ber.,47, 1828 (1914).Google Scholar
- 7.F. Ephraim and E. Hochuli, Ber.,48, 629 (1915).Google Scholar
- 8.Gmelins Handbuch der anorgan. Chem., 8 Auflage, No 6,1927, ctp. 133.Google Scholar
- 9.M. S. Kharasch, US Patent CIIIA 2 504 134, 18.4.1950.Google Scholar
- 10.D. McIntosh and B. D. Steele Proc. Roy. Soc.,73, 450 (1904); B. D. Steele, Proc. Roy. Soc.,74, 320 (1905); B. D. Steele, D. McIntosh, and E. H. Archibald, Ibid.,74, 321 (1905); T. C. Waddingtion and F. Klanberg, J. Chem. Soc.,1960, 2329, 2332.Google Scholar
- 11.É. S. Sevast'yanov, A. I. Gorbanev, and Yu. M. Kessler, Zh. Fiz. Khimii,36, 644 (1962).Google Scholar
- 12.Collection: Studies of the Chemistry of Solutions and Complex Compounds [in Russian], Academy of Sciences Ukrainian SSR Press, Kiev (1959), No. 2Google Scholar