Patterns in the bond energies in simple molecules
- 17 Downloads
The available experimental material on the energies of atomization of simple inorganic and heteroorganic molecules of nontransition elements of the type of MXk, MXi′Xk-i, MXi′Xj″Xk-i-j‴, etc. is generalized.
From the nature of the changes in the average energy of the M-X bond in various theories (along the periods, along the groups, with changes in the valence of the central atoms M, with ionization, in isoelectronic series, etc.), the entire aggregate of ligands X is broken down into two groups (σ and σ + π), in accord with whether or not the atom A in the ligand directly bonded to the central atom M possesses unshared pπ-electron pairs.
The basic principles of the behavior of the average bond energies in the enumerated series, their differences and similarity, were followed.
KeywordsBasic Principle Bond Energy Average Energy Central Atom Average Bond
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. P. Charkin, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,169, 1153 (1971).Google Scholar
- 2.O. P. Charkin and A. B. Livadonova, “The transfer of structure and properties of atomic fragments from molecule to molecule” [in Russian], Deposited in the All-Union Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR (VINITI), No. 3586-71 Dep.Google Scholar
- 3.O. P. Charkin, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1431 (1972).Google Scholar
- 4.O. P. Charkin and M. E. Dyatkina, Zh. Strukt. Khim.,5, 451 (1965);8, 512 (1967);9, 111, 275 (1968).Google Scholar
- 5.O. P. Charkin, Vestn. Leningr. Un-ta Ser. Fiz. Khim.,22, 92 (1969); “External d-orbitals and bond energies,” Deposited in VINITI AN SSSR, No. 4418-72 Dep.Google Scholar
- 6.O. P. Charkin, Zh. Strukt. Khim.,14, No. 2 (1973).Google Scholar
- 7.O. P. Charkin, N. M. Klimenko, A. E. Smolyar, K. V. Bozhenko, M. A. Ryabov, and A. S. Zyubin, “Calculations of the electronic structures of diatomic molecules” [in Russian], Deposited in VINITI, AN SSSR (1972).Google Scholar
- 8.R. D. Brown and J. B. Peel, Austral. J. Chem.,21, 2604 (1968).Google Scholar
- 9.J. L. Franklin et al., Ionization Potentials, Appearance Potentials, and Heats of Formation of Gaseous Positive Ions, Nat. Bur. Stand. US, 26 (1969).Google Scholar