Reaction of aliphatic and aromatic nitriles with t-butyl peroxide
- 31 Downloads
In the polyrecombination reaction certain aliphatic and aromatic nitriles (phenylacetonitrile, α-cyano-p-tolunitrile, and p-tolunitrile) give oligomers and polymers containing a system of conjugated C=N bonds and giving an ESR signal.
Probable structures of the polymers and reaction schemes for their formation are proposed which are in accord with their elementary analyses and their infrared and ESR spectra.
In the case of α-cyano-p-tolunitrile the effect of steric hindrance on the tendency to form polymers is shown.
It was shown that the presence of one or two electron-accepting nitrile groups has an unfavorable influence on the mobility of the hydrogen atoms of the methylene group of the starting compound and on the tendency of such compounds to form polymers.
KeywordsHydrogen Polymer Methylene Peroxide Oligomer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. L. Sosin, V. V. Korshak, V. A. Vasnev, and E. L. Baranov, Izv. AN SSSR, Otd. khim. n.,1962, 1644.Google Scholar
- 2.Dictionary of Organic Compounds [Russian translation], Izd. inostr. lit.,1949, Vol. I, p. 31.Google Scholar
- 3.V. V. Korshak, Izv. AN SSSR, Otd. khim. n.,1949, 269.Google Scholar
- 4.H. McBay, O. Tucker, and P. Grovels, J. Organ. Chem.,24, 536 (1959).Google Scholar
- 5.Preparative Organic Chemistry, Moscow, GNTIKhL (1959), p. 439.Google Scholar
- 6.Clark and Reade, Organic Syntheses [Russian translation], Izd. inostr. lit. (1949), Collection 1, p. 391.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Gabriel and R. Otto, Ber.,20, 2224 (1887).Google Scholar
- 8.C. Barkenbus and J. B. Holtzclaw, J. Amer. Chem. Soc.,42, 2199 (1925).Google Scholar
- 9.V. V. Korshak, S. L. Sosin, and M. V. Chistyakova, Vysokomolek. soed.,1, 938 (1959).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Cross, Introduction to Practical Infrared Spectroscopy [Russian translation], Izd. inostr. lit., (1961), pp. 88, 90, 99.Google Scholar