Aldehyde oxidase distribution in the imaginal discs of some diptera
- 33 Downloads
In the imaginal discs ofMusca domestica, Drosophila melanogaster, D. simulans, D. hydei, andZaprionus spec. the enzyme aldehyde oxidase (AO) appeared in a clear-cut pattern. In the leg and eye-antennal discs of these species this pattern shows a high degree of conformity, while that of the wing and haltere discs is species-specific.
No aldehyde oxidase activity was detected in the imaginal discs ofCalliphora erythrocephala, Phormia regina orLucilia cuprina, but the discs of these species are characterized by grossly similar patterns of 5′-nucleotidase. Since the other species studied lack this enzyme, the two enzymes may perform similar functions in the morphogenesis of the discs.
The coincidence of the sharp boundary of the AO pattern in the leg and wing discs ofD. melanogaster with the boundary between the anterior and posterior disc compartments gives a strong indication for the existence of analogous compartments in other discs showing a similar sharply bounded AO pattern. Compartmentalization may be considered a general phenomenon which occurs in discs of all segments and is not restricted toD. melanogaster. From the changes in the AO pattern during disc development it can be deduced that the localisation of this enzyme is regulated by supracellular determination involving positional information.
Key wordsImaginal discs Aldehyde oxidase Compartments
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bautz, A.M.: Chronologie de la mise en place de l'hypoderme imaginale de l'abdomen deCalliphora erythrocephala Meigen (Insecte, Diptère, Brachycère). Arch. Zool. exp. Gén.122, 157–178 (1971)Google Scholar
- Janning, W.: Distribution of aldehyde oxidase activity in imaginal disks ofDrosophila melanogaster. Dros. Inf. Serv.50, 151–152 (1973)Google Scholar
- Janning, W.: Entwicklungsgenetische Untersuchungen an Gynandern vonDrosophila melanogaster. I. Die inneren Organe der Imago. Wilhelm Roux' Archiv174, 313–332 (1974)Google Scholar
- Lewerenz, G.: Untersuchungen über Wachstum und Struktur der im Thoraxbereich liegenden Imaginalscheiben vonCalliphora erythrocephala. Deut. Ent. Z.8, 222–249 (1961)Google Scholar
- Majoor, G.D.: AMP-ase activity in the wing disk and mesothoracic leg disk of some dipteran larvae. Neth. J. Zool.23, 111–117 (1973)Google Scholar
- Sprey, Th.E.: Localization of 5′-nucleotidase and its possible significance in some of the imaginal disks ofCalliphora erythrocephala. Neth. J. Zool.20, 419–432 (1970)Google Scholar
- Sprey, Th.E., Oldenhave, M.: A detailed organ map of the wing disk ofCalliphora erythrocephala. Neth. J. Zool.24, 291–310 (1974)Google Scholar
- Sprey, Th.E., Priester, W. de: Myofilaments in the lemnoblast cells of the larval optic nerve inCalliphora erythrocephala. Neth. J. Zool.22, 351–354 (1972)Google Scholar
- Steiner, E.: Establishment of compartments in the developing leg imaginal discs ofDrosophila melanogaster. Wilhelm Roux's Archives180, 9–30 (1976)Google Scholar
- Trujillo-Cenóz, O., Melamed, J.: The development of the retina-lamina complex in muscoid flies. J. Ultrastr. Res.42, 554–581 (1973)Google Scholar
- Wieschaus, E., Gehring, W.: Gynandromorph analysis of the thoracic disc primordia inDrosophila melanogaster. Wilhelm Roux's Archives180, 31–46 (1976)Google Scholar