Ultrastructural evidence for inhibition of chitin synthesis by nikkomycin
- 28 Downloads
The nucleoside antibiotic nikkomycin has proved to be an effective inhibitor of chitin synthesis in the Mexican bean beetleEpilachna varivestis. Ultrastructural investigations show defects in the procuticular area after nikkomycin application which suggest the complete absence of chitin. A cuticle like this is inflexible and too brittle to satisfy its normal function as an exoskeleton. The individuals are not able to free themselves from the exuvia and finally die. Therefore nikkomycin seems to be a potential insecticide with high specifity.
Key wordsChitin inhibition Nikkomycin Cuticle Electron microscopy Epilachna varivestis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cohen E, Casida JE (1980) Inhibition of Tribolium gut chitin synthetase. Pestic Biochem Physiol 13:129–136Google Scholar
- DeLoach JR, Meola SM, Mayer RT, Thompson JM (1981) Inhibition of DNA synthesis by diflubenzuron in pupae of the stable flyStomoxys calcitrans (L) Pestic Biochem Physiol 15:172–180Google Scholar
- Holst H, Malissiovas D, Schmutterer H (1978) Wirkungen eines chitinsynthesehemmenden Antibiotikums auf Spinnmilben und Insekten. Mitt Dtsch Ges Allg Angew Ent 1:143–146Google Scholar
- Leighton T, Marks E, Leighton F (1981) Pesticides: insecticides and fungicides are chitin synthesis inhibitors. Science 213:905–907Google Scholar
- Mayer RT, Chen AC, DeLoach JR (1980) Characterization of a chitin synthase from the stable fly,Stomoxys calcitrans (L). Insect Biochem 10:549–556Google Scholar
- Misato T, Kakiki K, Hori M (1978) Chitin as a target for pesticide action: progress and prospect. In: Geissbühler H (ed) Advances in pesticide science. Part 3. Pergamon Press, Oxford, pp. 458–464Google Scholar
- Oberlander H, Ferkovich S, Leach E, Van Essen F (1980) Inhibition of chitin biosynthesis in culture imaginal discs: effects of alpha-amanitin, actinomycin-D, cycloheximide, and puromycin. Wilhelm Roux's Arch 188:81–86Google Scholar
- Schlüter U, Holst H, Rönnau KC (1982) Ultrastructural changes in the gut and the malpighian tubules ofEpilachna varivestis (Col.) after application of the new antibiotic nikkomycin involve an osmoregulatory defect. J Invert Pathol (in press)Google Scholar