A study of synthetic and natural eucryptite
In hydrothermal conditions at a temperature of 350°C and a pressure of 130 kg/cm2 the low temperature form of eucryptite, α-Li2O · Al2O3 · 2SiO2, has been synthesized. The material was identical in structure and properties with the natural minerala - eucryptite.
The high temperature modification of eucryptite,β-Li2O · Al2O3 · 2SiO2, was obtained by thermal transformation of α-eucryptite, and also by crystallization of glass of the stoichiometnc composition.
The infrared absorption spectra of natural and synthetic α-eucryptite and syntheticβ-eucryptite were studied. The band in the 900–1000 cm−1 region is shifted to higher frequencies as the degree of polymerization of the anionic skeleton increases in the transition from α- toβ-eucryptite.
KeywordsPolymerization Crystallization Al2O3 Absorption Spectrum Temperature Modification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Launer, Amer. Mineralogist37, 764 (1952).Google Scholar
- 2.W. Keller, J. Spotts, and D. Biggs. Amer. J. Sci.250, 453 (1952).Google Scholar
- 3.F. Matossi and P. Krüger, Z. Phys.99, I (1936).Google Scholar
- 4.C. S. Hurlbut, Amer. Mineralogist47, 557 (1962).Google Scholar
- 5.H. G. F. Winkler, Acta crystallogr.6, 99 (1953).Google Scholar
- 6.H. G. F. Winkler, Acta crystallogr.1, 27 (1948).Google Scholar
- 7.R. Roy, D. Roy, and E. Osborn, J. Am. Ceram. Soc.33, 152 (1950).Google Scholar
- 8.E. A. Porai-Koshits, V. I. Aver'yanov, and Yu. G. Sokolov, an article in Development of an Ionization Method for Registering X-rays in X-ray Structural Analysis [in Russian], Institute of Silicate Chemistry, USSR Academy of Sciences, 1954–1955.Google Scholar
- 9.A. N. Winchell, Optical Mineralogy [Russian translation], IL, Moscow (1949).Google Scholar
- 10.V. A. Kolesova, Optika i spektroskopiya,6, 38 (1959).Google Scholar
- 11.R. G. Milkey, Amer. Mineralogist45, 990 (1960).Google Scholar
- 12.V. A. Kolesova, Collection: The Structure of Substances and Spectroscopy, Moscow, Izd. AN SSSR (1960), p. 93.Google Scholar