Complexes of epileptic activity formed by a determinant focus in the cortex isolé
- 10 Downloads
Foci of increased excitability, functioning independently, were created in the neuronally isolated cortex of cats by means of weak strychnine solutions. The creation of a hyperactive focus by application of concentrated solutions or crystals of strychnine led to an increase of amplitude and discharge frequency in other foci, synchronization of the discharges in these foci, and their combination into a single functional complex of foci driven by the hyperactive focus. The later thus played the role of determinant structure. Marked generalization of paroxysmal activity also took place under the influence of the determinant focus and was manifested as the spread of epileptic discharges to areas of cortex untreated with strychnine. The results indicate that relations established between hyperactive foci in the cortex and the effects of the determinant structure can be brought about through purely cortical mechanisms.
Key Wordsdeterminant structure epileptic focus epileptic complex strychnine cortex isolé
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. N. Kryzhanovskii, Zh. Nervopatol. Psikhiat., No. 11, 1730 (1976).Google Scholar
- 2.G. N. Kryzhanovskii, R. F. Makul'kin, and A. A. Shandra, Byull. Éksp. Biol. Med., No. 1, 5 (1977).Google Scholar
- 3.G. N. Kryzhanovskii, R. F. Makul'kin, and A. A. Shandra, Zh. Nevropatol. Psikhiat., No. 4, 547 (1978).Google Scholar
- 4.G. N. Kryzhanovskii, R. F. Makul'kin, A. A. Shandra, et al., Byull. Éksp. Biol. Med., No. 7, 14 (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.R. F. Makul'kin, A. A. Shandra, and D. V. Boiko, Byull. Éksp. Biol. Med., No. 8, 142 (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.G. N. Kryzhanovskii, R. F. Makul'kin, A. A. Shandra, et al., Byull. Éksp. Biol. Med., (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.M. M. Khananashvili and N. S. Burakova, Fiziol. Zh. SSSR, No. 3, 249 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.F. R. Miller, G. W. Stavraky, and G. A. Woonton, J. Neurophysiol.,3, 131 (1940).Google Scholar
- 9.I. G. Szirmai, R. Vollmer, P. Rappelsberger, et al., Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol.,43, 527 (1977).Google Scholar
- 10.J. H. Ferguson and H. H. Jasper, Electroenceph. Clin. Neurophysiol.,30, 377 (1971).Google Scholar