Effect of acute hypoxic hypoxia on the thickness of the lung air-blood barrier
The arithmetic mean and harmonic mean thickness of the air-blood barrier (ABB) of the lungs and the arithmetic mean thickness of its individual layers were studied by morphometric analysis of electron micrographs obtained from rats of different ages under normal conditions and after inhalation of a gas mixture of N2 with 11.2% O2 for 30 min. Acute hypoxic leads to thickening of ABB, and the younger the animal the more marked the thickening observed. The relative thicknesses of individual layers of ABB differed after acute hypoxia in animals of different age group. The results point to age differences in the mechanisms of development of arterial hypoxemia in acute hypoxic hypoxia.
Key Wordsair-blood barrier of the lungs arithmetic mean thickness harmonic mean thickness acute hypoxic hypoxia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. R. Weibel, Morphometry of the Human Lung, Springer-Verlag (1963).Google Scholar
- 2.T. N. Kovalenko and M. M. Seredenko, Dopovid. Akad. Nauk URSR, Ser. B., No. 4, 341 (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.A. Ya. Lazaris and I. A. Serebrovskaya, Arkh. Patol., No. 7, 3 (1960).Google Scholar
- 4.Kh. S. Nugmanova, Arkh. Patol., No. 5, 3 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.M. M. Seredenko, in: Proceedings of the 8th Scientific Conference on Age Morphology, Physiology, and Biochemistry [in Russian], Part 2, Moscow (1967), pp. 356–357.Google Scholar
- 6.M. M. Seredenko, Fiziol. Zh. (Ukr.) No. 3, 387 (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.M. M. Seredenko and M. G. Shuta, Fiziol. Zh. (Ukr.), No. 1, 39 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.H. W. Chalkley, J. Cornfield, and H. Park, Science,110, 295 (1949).Google Scholar
- 9.H. Meessen and H. Schulz, in: Lungen und kleiner Kreislauf, Berlin (1957), pp. 54–63.Google Scholar
- 10.E. R. Weibel and B. W. Knight, J. Cell Biol.,21, 367 (1964).Google Scholar