Technetium-99m dextran: a promising new protein-losing enteropathy imaging agent
- 50 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to evaluate technetium-99m dextran (99mTc-Dx; molecular weight 81000) as a prospective protein-losing enteropathy (PLE) imaging agent. Twenty-two patients with diseases commonly associated with PLE and 12 healthy control subjects underwent intravenous99mTc-Dx scintigraphy. All of the 22 test patients showed significant radiotracer accumulation in the intestines within 3–4 h post injection. The focal, regional or generalised nature of the enteropathy and involvement of the large or small intestine could be identified in most cases. Four of the 12 apparently healthy subjects also showed minimal accumulation in the abdominal area occurring late in the study period. This could have been physiological, related to food habits or due to unsuspected intestinal worms. We attribute the high sensitivity of99mTc-Dx to its relatively fast blood (background) clearance. The radiotracer may have several other advantages over99mTc-labelled human serum albumin in imaging PLE.
Key wordsProtein-losing enteropathy Imaging Technetium-99m dextran
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Divgi CR, Lisann NM, Yeh SDJ, et al. Technetium 99m albumin scintigraphy in the diagnosis of protein-losing-enteropathy.J Nucl Med 1986; 27: 1710–1712.Google Scholar
- 2.Harbert J, Da Rocha AFG. The intestines. In: Harbert J, Da Rocha AFG, eds.Textbook of nuclear medicine, vol 2. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger; 1984: 225–239.Google Scholar
- 3.Oomen R, Kurien G, Balakrishnan N, et al. Tc-99m albumin scintigraphy in the localization of protein loss in the gut.Clin Nucl Med 1992; 17: 787–788.Google Scholar
- 4.Kashiwagi T, Fukui H, Jyokou T, et al. Imaging diagnosis of protein-losing-enteropathy by 99m-Tc labeled serum albumin.Kaku Igaku 190; 27: 1361–1368.Google Scholar
- 5.Henze E, Robinson GD, Kuhl DE, et al. Tc-99m dextran: a new blood-pool-labeling agent for radionuclide angiography.J Nucl Med 1982; 23: 248–253.Google Scholar
- 6.Bhatnagar A, Mishra P, Singh AK, et al. Scintiscan demonstration of localized bowel loop inflammation: comparison of Tc-99m dextran, Tc-99m citrate and Tc-99m HIG.Clin Nucl Med; in press.Google Scholar
- 7.Bhatnagar A, Lahoti D, Singh AK. Scintiscan diagnosis of protein-losing-enteropathy using Tc-99m dextran, 1995;Clin Nucl Med 1995; 20: 1070–1073.Google Scholar
- 8.Dayal Y, De Lellis RA. The gastrointestinal tract. In: Cotran RS, Kumar V, Robbins SL, eds.Robbin's pathological basis of disease, 4th edn. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 1989: 827–910.Google Scholar
- 9.Cotron RS, Kumar V, Robbins SL. In: Cotran RS, Kumar V, Robbins SL, eds.Robbin's pathological basis of disease, 4th edn. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 1989: 39–86.Google Scholar
- 10.Bhatnagar A, Singh AK, Singth T, et al.99m-Tc-dextran: a potential inflammation-seeking radiopharmaceutical. 1995;Nucl Med Commun 1995; 16: 1058–1062.Google Scholar