A calibration system for superconducting gravimeters
- 101 Downloads
A new method for the calibration of a superconducting gravity meter is described, in which a 273 Kg annular mass is placed around the meter and is moved up and down. The geometry of the apparatus is easy to model and the accuracy in the computation of the gravity variation induced by the mass, 6.7µgal, is limited only by the accuracy in the knowledge of value of the gravitational constant. Measurements done in ‘91 and ‘92 for the calibration of the instrument GWR-T015 are described. The calibration factor has been determined with a precision of about 0.3%.
KeywordsCalibration Factor Gravity Variation Superconducting Gravimeter Mass Position Absolute Gravimeter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Achilli V, Baldi P, De Sabata V, Focardi S, Palmonari F, Pedrielli F, (1990) A measurement of the gravitational constant G in the 10-100 range distance. Frontiers in Particle Physics, Proceedings of the XII Warsaw Symposium on Elementary Particle Physics, Warsaw, Poland. Ed. Z. Ajduk et al, Word Scientific, pp 589–594.Google Scholar
- Achilli V, Baldi P, Focardi S, Gasperini P, Palmonari F, Sabadini R (1991) The Brasimone experiment: a measurement of the Gravitational constant G in the 10–100 m range of distance. Proceedings of the Workshop: Non Tidal Gravity Changes. Walferdange, Luxemburg. Cahiers du Centre Europèen de Gèodynamique et de Sèismologie, vol 3, pp 241–246.Google Scholar
- Barta G, Hajosy A, Varga P (1985) Possibilities for the Absolute Calibration of Recording Gravimeters. Proceedings of the Tenth International Symposium on Earth Tides, Madrid, Spain, pp 27–34.Google Scholar
- Goodkind JM (1991) The superconducting gravimeters: principle of operation, current performance and future prospects. Proceedings of the Workshop: Non Tidal Gravity Changes. Walferdange, Luxemburg. Cahiers du Centre Europèen de Gèodynamique et de Sèismologie, vol 3, pp 81–90.Google Scholar
- Varga P, Csapò G, Groten E, Becker M (1991) Laboratory calibration of LCP type gravimeters. Scientific Meeting GM 3, 20th General Assembly of IUGG/IAG, Vienna, Austria.Google Scholar
- Warburton R (1993) Private communication.Google Scholar