Eine Methode zur Registrierung der Laufaktivität von kleinen Insekten
- 26 Downloads
A recording method for locomotor activity of small insects
The method described in this paper enables the locomotor activity of small insects to be recorded. It is based on variations in capacitance within a bridge circuit, the variations being due to movements of the animals. The method is adapted to the use of multi-channel action recorders, thus allowing a greater number of sensor units to be employed simultaneously.
As an example of application, a comparison is made between the diurnal rhythmicity patterns of locomotor activity inDrosophila melanogaster andDrosophila azteca. Both species show maximal activity in the morning and in the evening.D. melanogaster is active throughout the middle of the day as well, butD. azteca, being adapted to an arid climate, shows a resting period during this time of day.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dobzhansky, Th., Epling, C.: Taxonomy, geographic distribution, and ecology ofDrosophila pseudoobscura and its relatives. Carnegie Inst. Washington Publ.554, 1–46 (1944).Google Scholar
- Grobbelaar, J. H., Morrison, G. J., Baart, E. E., Moran, V. C.: A versatile, highly sensitive activity recorder for insects. J. Insect Physiol.13, 1843–1848 (1967).Google Scholar
- Löfquist, J., Stenram, H.: An electronic actograph for automatic registration of animal locomotion. Acta Univ. Lund.11, 1–9 (1965).Google Scholar
- Machan, R., Himstedt, W.: Ein neuer kapazitiv arbeitender Aktograph. Oecologia (Berl.)4, 211–217 (1970).Google Scholar
- Médioni, J.: Une nouvelle technique actographique, applicable à la Drosophile et à des animaux plus petits. C. R. Soc. Biol. (Paris)158, 2185–2188 (1964).Google Scholar
- Patterson, J. T., Stone, W. S.: Evolution in the genusDrosophila. New York: Macmillan 1952.Google Scholar
- Pavan, C., Dobzhansky, Th., Burla, H.: Diurnal behavior of some neotropical species ofDrosophila. Ecology31, 36–43 (1950).Google Scholar
- Schechter, M. S., Dutky, S. R., Sullivan, W. N.: Recording circadian rhythms of the cockroach with a capacity-sensing device. J. econ. Ent.56, 76–79 (1963).Google Scholar