Trace element geochemistry in the waters of Pulicat lake, South India
- 34 Downloads
The distribution of trace elements like Cu, Zn, Ni, Co and Mn in the waters of Pulicat lake has been studied in four aqueous environments — northern, central, southern and channel parts. It is observed that the concentration of the trace elements increase with increase of pH, chlorides and sodium in both monsoon and dry seasons. The concentration and the behaviour of the trace elements are controlled by adsorption, supplemented by organic reactions and by precipitation in sulphide-rich environments.
KeywordsSodium Precipitation Chloride India Geochemistry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Analia, Braganca; Sujata, Sanzgiri: Concentrations of few trace metals in coastal and off-shore regions of the Bay of Bengal. Indian Jour. Marin. Sci. 9, 283–286 (1980)Google Scholar
- Brooks, P. R.; Presley, B. J.; Kaplan, I. R.: APDC-MIBK extraction system for the determination of trace elements in saline waters by atomic absorption spectro-photometry. Talanta 14, 809–816 (1967)Google Scholar
- Nagaraju, M.; Prasad, K. S. S.; Narasimharao, K. L.: Geochemisty of Lake Waters of Pulicat, India. GeoJournal 20,3, 311–318 (1990)Google Scholar
- Nissenbaum, A.: Minor and Trace Elements in Dead Sea Waters. Chemical Geology 19, 99–111 (1977)Google Scholar
- Schutz; Turekian: The distribution of cobalt, nickel and silver in ocean water profiles around Pacific Antarctica. Jour. Geophys. Res. 70, 5519–5528 (1965)Google Scholar
- Sclater, F. R.; Boyle, E.; Edmond, J. M.: On the marine geochemistry of nickel. Earth Planet. Sci., Letters 31, 119 (1976)Google Scholar
- Sen Gupta, R.; Singhal, S. V. S.; Sujata, Sanzgiri: Atomic absorption analysis of few trace metals in Arabian Sea waters. Indian Jour. Mar. Sci. 7, 295–299 (1978)Google Scholar
- Silvey, W. D.: The occurrences of selected minor elements in the water of California. US Geol. Sury. Water Supply Pap. 1535 L. (1967)Google Scholar
- Slowey, J. I.: Studies on the distribution of Copper, Manganese and Zinc in the ocean water using neutron activation analysis. In: The chemistry and analysis of trace metals in sea water. Final Report, AEC, Texas 1966.Google Scholar
- Spencer, D. W.; Brewer, P. G.: Vertical advection diffusion and redox potential as controls on the distribution of Manganese and other trace elements dissolved in water of the Black Sea. Jour. Geophys. Res. 76, 5877–5882 (1971)Google Scholar