Locating oil spill response equipment and facilities: A cluster analysis approach
- 40 Downloads
The response to marine accidental spillage of oil requires careful advance planning to ensure that the impact of an oil spill is minimized. In this paper a binary integer mathematical model based on the cluster analysis approach is developed to aid in determining the optimal sites for locating oil spill response equipment and facilities within a semienclosed waterway. The application of the model has been illustrated through a numerical example using hypothetical but representative data to determine optimal sites for locating oil spill response equipment and facilities in the Arabian Gulf region.
KeywordsMathematical Model Cluster Analysis Environmental Management Analysis Approach Representative Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belardo, S.; Harrald, J.; Wallace, W. A.; Ward, J.: A Partial Covering Approach to Siting Response Resources for Major Maritime Oil Spills. Management Science 30 (10), 1184–1196 (1984)Google Scholar
- Charnes, A.; Cooper, W. W.; Karwan, K. R.; Wallace, W. A.: A Chance-Constrained Goal Programming Model to Evaluate Response Resources for Marine Pollution Disasters. J. of Environmental Economics and Management 6, 244–274 (1979)Google Scholar
- Clark, R. B. (ed.): News. Marine Pollution Bulletin 22 (4), 164–165 (1991)Google Scholar
- Harrald, J. R.; Marcus, H. S.; Wallace, W. A.: The EXXON Valdez: An Assessment of Crisis Prevention and Management Systems. Interfaces 20 (5), 14–30 (1990)Google Scholar
- Mulvey, J. M.; Crowder, H. P. Cluster Analysis: An Application of Lagrangian Relaxation. Management Science 25 (4), 329–339 (1979)Google Scholar
- Psaraftis, H. N.; Ziogas, B. O.: A Tactical Decision Algorithm for the Optimal Dispatching of Oil Spill Cleanup Equipment. Management Science 31 (12), 1475–1491 (1985)Google Scholar
- Psaraftis, H. N; Tharakan, G. G.; Ceder, A.: Optimal Response to Oil Spills: The Strategic Decission Case. Operations Research, 34 (2), 203–217 (1986)Google Scholar