Abstention from alcohol in dilated cardiomyopathy: complete regression of the clinical disease but persistence of myocardial perfusion defects on exercise thallium-201 tomography
This case report describes a 43-year-old man with dilated cardiomyopathy reversed by abstention from alcohol over 1 year but with persistence of previous myocardial perfusion defects on exercise thallium-201 tomography. This suggests that despite the near normalization of left ventricular function, a permanent myocardial disease seems to persist.
Key wordsDilated cardiomyopathy Thallium-201 tomography Alcohol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Franciosa JA, Park M, Levine TB (1981) Lack of correlation between exercise capacity and indexes of resting left ventricular performance in heart failure. Am J Cardiol 47:33–39Google Scholar
- Geltman EM, Smith JL, Beecher D, Ludbrook PA, Terpogossian MM, Sobel BE (1983) Altered regional myocardial metabolism in congestive cardiomyopathy detected by positron tomography. Am J Med 74:773–785Google Scholar
- Juillière Y, Danchin N, Briancon S, Khalife K, Ethevenot G, Balaud A, Gilgenkrantz JM, Pemot C, Cherrier F (1988) Dilated cardiomyopathy: long-term follow-up and predictors of survival. Int J Cardiol 21:269–277Google Scholar
- Katz AM, Freston JW, Messinco FC, Herbette LG (1985) Membrane damage and pathogenesis of cardiomyopathies. J Mol Cell Cardiol 17 (Suppl 2):11–20Google Scholar
- Klein H, Marmjanz D (1975) Effects of ethanol infusion on the ultrastructure of human myocardium. Postgrad Med J 51:325–332Google Scholar
- Komajda M, Richard JL, Bouhour JB, Sacrez A, Bourdonnec C, Gerbaux A, Rozensztajn L, Lablanche JM, Matinat D, Morand P, Grosgogeat Y (1986) Dilated cardiomyopathy and the level of alcohol consumption: a planned multicenter case-control study. Eur Heart J 7:512–519Google Scholar
- Schwartz L, Sample KA, Wigle ED (1975) Severe alcoholic cardiomyopathy reversed with abstention from alcohol. Am J Cardiol 36:963–966Google Scholar
- Shiotani H, Yamabe H, Fukuzaki H (1987) The clinical and prognostic significance of dipyridamole Tl-201 emission computed tomography in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. Jpn Circ J 51:1016–1021Google Scholar
- Ugolini V, Hansen CL, Kulkarni PV, Jansen DE, Akers MS, Corbett JR (1988) Abnormal myocardial fatty acid metabolism in dilated cardiomyopathy detected by iodine-123 phenylpentadecanoic acid and tomographic imaging. Am J Cardiol 62:923–928Google Scholar
- Urbano-Marquez A, Estruch R, Navarro-Lopez F, Gran JM, Mont L, Rubin E (1989) The effects of alcoholism on skeletal and cardiac muscle. N Engl J Med 320:409–415Google Scholar
- WHO/ISFC (1980) Report of the WHO/ISFC task force on the definition and classification of cardiomyopathies. Br Heart J 44:672–673Google Scholar